Thread: Gluten free
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 06:36 AM
Quilter 65

I was diagnosed with celiac almost 9 nears ago. I have tried various flour mixes and I happened across this one that I have had wonderful success with. I buy flours in bulk and make my own mix then and keep it in the cabinet. This mix made wonderful pumpkin cookies (best I have ever eaten) and wonderful date pinwheel cookies with a recipe that I have made for over 40 years. It takes 4 cups sorghum flour; 2 2/3 cup tapioca flour; 2 2/3 cups potato starch; 1 cup fava & garbanzo flour. Mix it all together and store. When using it in a recipe, use 1 tsp xantham gum or guar gum, 1 tsp per cup of flour used. Then you double the leavening agent & usually cook 10 minutes longer. This mix will give the brown appearance more common to wheat flour. Some flours like rice are very difficult to brown without becoming so hard you can use them as weapons. I just use one cup of this flour and substitute cup for cup for the regular flour.

Good luck. It can be done and I wouldn't eat gluten now for anything. My health is so much better and I no longer have headaches and constant stomach pain.There is some residual damage but I can live with that.