View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 06:46 AM
Friday1961

Default Confused by the math!

I won't mention the name or the vendor here but I've recently seen a quilt (available in a kit and as a pattern) that I like a lot and intend to make. It's a very simple pattern using bright solids and makes what I think is a stunning look. Because it's so simple I don't need to buy the pattern (or the kit), but the stated measurements confuse me. The kit says the quilt measures 54 by 84; the pattern (which includes multiple sizes) says it consists of 6" x 12" blocks. I don't even know what that means. Blocks that are rectangular instead of square? Even though the photo clearly shows that the blocks are square. I may make it in 9" blocks, for a finished size of 54x72.

So here's my confusion. How do they get that 84" measurement? If there are six 9" blocks across, that would be a 54 inch width. But how is the length measurement 84 inches if the blocks are square? What am I missing here? (There are no borders, by the way). The photo shows the quilt draped over a chair, by the way, so the full width and length are not visible.

Even though I don't need it, I may have to buy this pattern (affordable at $6.95) just to clear up my confusion and see what the heck they are talking about!