Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Confused by the math! >

Confused by the math!

Confused by the math!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:46 AM

Default Confused by the math!

I won't mention the name or the vendor here but I've recently seen a quilt (available in a kit and as a pattern) that I like a lot and intend to make. It's a very simple pattern using bright solids and makes what I think is a stunning look. Because it's so simple I don't need to buy the pattern (or the kit), but the stated measurements confuse me. The kit says the quilt measures 54 by 84; the pattern (which includes multiple sizes) says it consists of 6" x 12" blocks. I don't even know what that means. Blocks that are rectangular instead of square? Even though the photo clearly shows that the blocks are square. I may make it in 9" blocks, for a finished size of 54x72.

So here's my confusion. How do they get that 84" measurement? If there are six 9" blocks across, that would be a 54 inch width. But how is the length measurement 84 inches if the blocks are square? What am I missing here? (There are no borders, by the way). The photo shows the quilt draped over a chair, by the way, so the full width and length are not visible.

Even though I don't need it, I may have to buy this pattern (affordable at $6.95) just to clear up my confusion and see what the heck they are talking about!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

More quilt patterns are no longer in "square" blocks. They are still called blocks even though they may be rectangles or other. I would think the length is achieved by the length of the rectangles?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:58 AM

if the blocks are in fact set rectangular like you said, 6 inches wide, and 12 inches long, the grid would need to be 9 blocks Across, and 7 blocks down to achieve the 54 x 84 inch size.

edited to add : Since the block size is stated to be 6 x 12 , it may look like they are " square " blocks if each individual section is a 6 inch block, just done two at a time .

Last edited by SlightlyOffQuilter; 01-31-2014 at 07:00 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 AM

if the blocks are 6"x12", and the quilt is 54x84, then you need 9 blocksx7 blocks. 9 across 7 down for a total of 63 blocks

right? but if the blocks are square.....hmmmmm.... maybe in the pattern a BLOCK consists of two square sewn together?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

A block can really be any shape, not just square. Sometimes, to more easily achieve a particular color or fabric placement, it's easier to make a double block, then join those.
It could also just be a typo! Can you send an email to the publisher for clarification?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
if the blocks are in fact set rectangular like you said, 6 inches wide, and 12 inches long, the grid would need to be 9 blocks Across, and 7 blocks down to achieve the 54 x 84 inch size.

edited to add : Since the block size is stated to be 6 x 12 , it may look like they are " square " blocks if each individual section is a 6 inch block, just done two at a time .

Ah! That, I believe, is the answer. It did occur to me that they might be considering two units as one "block". I assume, then, that this is the reasoning. The photo, which also shows the cross hatch quilting, shows an obviously square "unit" but that may not be what they are calling a "block" if they are combining two units to make a block.

So happy to have it explained! I plan to make my quilt the way I want, and now don't have to buy the pattern just to satisfy my curiosity about their measurements.

Thanks to all who responded!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 AM

I just recently saw one where the blocks were rectangular. On the first row, the first block was placed vertically (6 " across x 12" down) then 2 blocks long sides together (now 12 " wide x 12" long) repeat. If you did 6 in, 12 in, and repeated 2 more times you would have 54 inches wide.

ON the second row it started with 2 blocks (12" sides together) followed by a 6" block. Hope this makes sense.

So you would have alternating rows of 6" wide followed by 2 12" wide together, then 2 12" wide, followed by a 6" wide. This way the vertical/horizontal nature of the blocks would add more interest to the quilt.