View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM
ArchaicArcane

Default Cast sock pattern?

Last night DH broke his big toe and the emerg doctor put it in a removable cast this morning. Of course a toe cast isn't just for toes... it's almost to his knee!

What they usually don't think of is that 5 toes hanging out in the breeze in our climate in January is... unkind. So, I'd like to make a sock that can do double duty.

We have wood floors that are going to take a beating with this cast on for the next 2 weeks, and his toes are going to be cold.

Here's what I -think- the requirements are:
1. A sewn pattern, I don't remember how to knit.
2. Some sort of anti slip for traction on the bottom. No point breaking the other leg trying to protect this one.

This is the first time either of us has knowingly broken a bone, so I'm not sure what other requirements there are, so other input is also welcome.

All of the patterns I've seen so far have been knitted. I suppose I could relearn, but I'd have to go out and buy needles and yarn again to replace the ones I donated earlier this year after hanging onto them for 20 years. THIS is why I packrat!!

Since he's home from work, I have the cast here so measurements won't be an issue. I should have a little time with it too, he's conked out on the painkillers they gave him.