View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 11:54 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I think Tartan's idea is brilliant, whatever you want to call it, but probably you should get some of the bumpy fabric that's used for the soles of kid's feet pajamas - available at fabric stores - and sew that on so it will be less slippery. And of course make sure the hat fits snugly so that it doesn't cause a tripping hazard. Maybe some stick-on velcro on the cast and sewn on the inside of the hat would help to keep it where it belongs.

Wishing your hubby a speedy recovery!
Thanks Rose. It turns out, even at -8F, DH is overheating in his cast. Whew! The funk of that! Baking soda has been my best friend! When we go out, he says he's not cold and thinks it's the inflammation in the toe that's acting as a heater for the rest of the foot.

I suspect that will change once the swelling goes down and things get further along in the healing process. I did manage to knit him a deformed looking sock for when that happens. It took me 3 days!

He was off this whole week, because we ended up going into emergency on Wednesday night with his toe swollen to twice its size with a huge blood blister. The doctor said he shouldn't be on it. He's getting about 20 minutes at a go before he needs to sit and ice it. He's in for the long haul I think.

I'm trying to keep his mind engaged anyway by planning little 20 minute things to do around the house. It's not fun, but he's not as likely to get "down in the dumps". He's usually so active this is really taking its toll on him.

Originally Posted by pal View Post
You could go to Jo-Ann's sale bin and buy a remnant of fleece. Then just measure around the cast and make a tube to fit over it. Maybe dots of hot glue would work for the bottom, making it non-slip.
Thanks pal! We don't have Jo-Ann's here, but I could do the same with Fabricland. I do have some fleece, but I don't think he'll appreciate the kitties and yarnballs on it.

Originally Posted by M cubed View Post
A few years ago my husband had foot surgery just before Christmas. Of course, we had already made plans to travel from California to Ohio for the holidays - so how to keep his foot warm? I went to Walmart and bought a velvet Christmas stocking and it fit beautifully over all the bandaging (should fit over a removable cast also). When it came time that he could put weight on his foot, I added glue dots to the bottom of the sock for non-skid - use the non washable kind and let dry completely. Anyhow, the point is any Christmas stocking pattern can be used and adjusted for size easily. The nice long leg of the pattern will keep it up in place. And best of all -- it is washable!
M Cubed, I really like this idea! If once the swelling goes down, he feels like he's cold, I will do that for sure.