View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 06:49 PM
jlhmnj

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Jon, do you know if the attachments that fit the Davis machines also fit any other (non-Davis) machines?

The only Davis I have in the house so far is a NVF - so that doesn't help. Though I'll be getting a bottom feeder soon. I've still got a few top clamp sets that don't fit anything. My second Davis also takes the shorter needles.

Do you know what machine takes the Boye 20 needles? It shows up as "Davis Old Style" the look to be the same length as the 10, but have full round shank instead of a flat side.

Hi Cathy,

The Davis Underfeed attachments have a slot 3/16" wide and 1/16"-1/8" offset from the cleft in the foot. Here's a pic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Good chance you have a box or two though I'm uncertain if they fit other brands. The Sears Davis attachments are in the black / purple metal box marked "Attachments" like many others.

The Boye 20 needle is better described as "Davis Ancient Style" instead of "Davis Old Style". The Low Arm Davis was "Improved" around 1872 and one of the improvements was a flat on the needle for orientation. So a pre "Improved" 1872 Davis is the proper machine for these needles which I've seen less than a handful. The Boye 20 can be used in place of a Davis long if oriented and lowered a tad but so can a lot of other Boye needles on the long side with few practical uses.

Jon