Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Honeymoon Treadle in Oak Cabinet >

Honeymoon Treadle in Oak Cabinet

Honeymoon Treadle in Oak Cabinet

Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 PM

Default Honeymoon Treadle in Oak Cabinet

Guess what I got today? YUP - one of these.....It has no manual, no attachments,.no belt...but parts all move....rubber for bobbin winder is pretty bad (someone put electrical tape over it to hold the rubber on)....As soon as I can get my camera to download - I will post some pictures...She is really a pretty machine....pretty dirty....certainly could use a good oiling.....cabinet is in moderate condition....

Does anyone know anything about these machines? Where I could get a manual or some of the attachments?

In advance, THANKS....pictures to follow later today or in the morning..........
Old 02-08-2014, 01:21 PM

Default PICTURES of Honeymoon Treadle

Here are some pics of the new machine........any help or ideas for source for attachments or manual would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg   004.jpg   006.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 02:05 PM

Very pretty machine and cabinet.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:25 PM

It's a Davis machine, and you'll have to figure out if it takes the long or short needles, Someone posted about looking at the casting underneath for an A9 or A10.

It will take the Davis shuttle and bobbins.

I don't know about attachments, but hopefully I will soon as my machine has made it to Iowa today. I'll be shocked if I don't already own some that fit LOL!!

Saw one chart that shows Davis put "Honeymoon" on both models L and M, L has the stitch length on the pillar and M has it on the base, so you have a model L.

It should be the same as the Minnesota C. And lots and lots of other names too - but the one sold by Sears is often the easiest to find reference to.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:10 PM

Shorebird,

Very pretty Honeymoon. You'll need to get a hold of "Boye 10" new old stock needles or MTx190 new industrial needles. Any set of Davis Underfeed attachments will work, Davis made quite a few for their Sears models marked "Attachments", though their difficult to tell apart from other makers by photo only.

The "A9" and "A10" only applies to the Davis New Minnesota A. Davis top leaf tension only use the Davis long needles, they were never redesigned to use the 15x1 even after all the other Davis' switched over. I'll thread up my model n, a smaller similar model, and take some pics later on.

Jon
Old 02-08-2014, 04:44 PM

That's a pretty machine and lovely cabinet! It reminds me of Honeymoon coffee tins.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:48 PM

Threading pics for Honeymoon
Attached Thumbnails 2814-004.jpg   2814-002.jpg   2814-003.jpg   2814-005.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Jon, do you know if the attachments that fit the Davis machines also fit any other (non-Davis) machines?

The only Davis I have in the house so far is a NVF - so that doesn't help. Though I'll be getting a bottom feeder soon. I've still got a few top clamp sets that don't fit anything. My second Davis also takes the shorter needles.

Do you know what machine takes the Boye 20 needles? It shows up as "Davis Old Style" the look to be the same length as the 10, but have full round shank instead of a flat side.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Jon, do you know if the attachments that fit the Davis machines also fit any other (non-Davis) machines?

The only Davis I have in the house so far is a NVF - so that doesn't help. Though I'll be getting a bottom feeder soon. I've still got a few top clamp sets that don't fit anything. My second Davis also takes the shorter needles.

Do you know what machine takes the Boye 20 needles? It shows up as "Davis Old Style" the look to be the same length as the 10, but have full round shank instead of a flat side.

Hi Cathy,

The Davis Underfeed attachments have a slot 3/16" wide and 1/16"-1/8" offset from the cleft in the foot. Here's a pic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Good chance you have a box or two though I'm uncertain if they fit other brands. The Sears Davis attachments are in the black / purple metal box marked "Attachments" like many others.

The Boye 20 needle is better described as "Davis Ancient Style" instead of "Davis Old Style". The Low Arm Davis was "Improved" around 1872 and one of the improvements was a flat on the needle for orientation. So a pre "Improved" 1872 Davis is the proper machine for these needles which I've seen less than a handful. The Boye 20 can be used in place of a Davis long if oriented and lowered a tad but so can a lot of other Boye needles on the long side with few practical uses.

Jon
Old 02-09-2014, 06:07 AM

Thanks, I'm almost positive I have some like that - I have several with the offset that don't fit any of the machines I've got.

Both the Domestic and Household have an right offset like that, and I think it's the later Free/New Home that have a slight left offset (but they have a narrow slot). White and National have the wide slot, but a center needle hole, with White having a longer distance between slot and needle than National.