View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 02:11 PM
frudemoo

Default 1900-ish Mundlos & Co handcrank rescue!

Hey gang, check this out! My poor neglected new friend. Mind you, I'm fairly sure of the date from my research and that I've correctly ID'd the machine from here: http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/Mundlos.htm

Of course, it was advertised as an "old Singer" and I was looking for something to completely restore. It's got me thinking about the difference between the patina that comes with age and use and the rather different looking effects of neglect. What are your thoughts on this? Would you make the same distinction? - very interested to know!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461793[/ATTACH]

Anyway, first things first, have to get it cleaned and working. Fascinating machine! I could not have been more surprised when I tried to remove the 'face plate' and THIS happened!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461798[/ATTACH]

Wow! Worth the $40 just to check out the way it's put together. In case anyone's shocked and thinks I paid too much, I had one of those great picker-style experiences meeting this fantastic guy who was a bird breeder and had been to Africa working with Gorillas and all sorts of amazing stuff. My 2 year old had the most amazing time checking out all the birds and all in all, I was in a kindly mood Also, hand cranks are not so easy to get for under $100.

I've only got one issue so far and it's (probably) minor. The hinges are fastened into the box base with a square nut and then a domed something-or-other holding the nut in place. It's recessed into the hole so it's hard to get any kind of tool in there; plus I don't know if I'm trying to undo the domed thing or just go straight for the square nut. Has anyone else seen this kind of set-up? SteveH? Would be grateful for any tips on what tool(s) to use. TIA!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461797[/ATTACH]

Happy to add more pics of this machine if people are interested
Attached Thumbnails photo-1.jpg   bolt.jpg   photo-2-3.jpg  

Last edited by frudemoo; 02-11-2014 at 02:16 PM.