View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 11:41 AM
mpspeedy

I don't know why everyone shys away from handquilting. True I have been doing it for 40 years and am probably very fast compared to most. I love to watch TV and handquilting is something I can do at the same time. It is certainly less expensive than having it done by a longarmer. I have at least 1/2 dozen friends who are longarmers and they do beautiful work. The satisfaction I get from handquilting is very relaxing and I have heard is good for my bloodpressure. I do simple machine quilting on the chairity quilts I make for the Linus project. I also machine quilt any quilts I make for those I know who will not care for them properly. Of all the parts of quilting the things I like best are collecting the fabrics and doing the handquilting. The other parts are like housework. I do them because they have to be done. As a child I hated doing the dishes. I don't own a dishwasher and never have. To me it is less trouble to do them, mindlessly by hand than to scrape, and or rinse off and then load and unload a dishwasher. Since my family only consists of myself and my husband for the last 10 years or so even that chore is minor. If I entertain a larger group I usually use disposable plates, cups and glasses etc.