Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does the cost ever hold you back? >

Does the cost ever hold you back?

Does the cost ever hold you back?

Old 12-18-2009, 05:11 PM

Try www.secretsof.com. I think that is it.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:32 PM

Thank you so much.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I have this thing in my head that if I'm going to go through all the trouble of making a quilt, it needs to be big enough to be practical - big enough to use. Which for me means basically queen-sized. I don't suppose I could quilt that with a regular sewing machine?
Yes, you could! I've done quilts by stitching in the ditch using my own machine; youjust have to roll the quilt tight to fit the opening, and, as others on the board have said, use the dining room table to support he quilt as you work.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:06 AM

What is cotton method? I've made a couple of throws -machined quilted myself -- also made some toppers using the flip and sew method. This is how I have kept the cost down. Sending out projects to be quilted can be costly -- usually it depends on the pattern used. I'm realitively new - when I improve(a lot) my aim is to make a Queen size -this will have to be sent out. This hobby can be addicting! Good luck.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:55 AM

I'm not sure that I understand the cotton method, either. I'll be eagerly awaiting an explanation.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:59 AM

You should just quilt t yourself. I though I could never do it. I actually use an old singer and still quilt my own quilts. You just have to find your own way of doing it. It might now be perfect but much cheaper and you DID IT YOURSELF.
Judy in Ohio
Old 12-19-2009, 08:22 AM

Try Quilt as You Go. That way you can machine quilt smaller sections but still end up with a full sized quilt. I believe there are instructions on line, failing that, you can purchase a book at a reasonable price. Good luck with your quilting
Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by no co quilter
What is cotton method? I've made a couple of throws -machined quilted myself -- also made some toppers using the flip and sew method. This is how I have kept the cost down. Sending out projects to be quilted can be costly -- usually it depends on the pattern used. I'm realitively new - when I improve(a lot) my aim is to make a Queen size -this will have to be sent out. This hobby can be addicting! Good luck.
The Cotton method is: Betty Cotton's 'Cotton Theory' method. It's a 'quilt as you go' type method, similar to www.baysidequilting.com 's 'fun and done' method. You cut your backing, batting and quilt block and top quilt, the backing is bigger than the block & batting, then you stich together the blocks, bringing the backing to the front, then folding down the backing and stitching. I have her book and dvd, but I think her quilts are a bit stiff, and fun and done seems much easier. Betty Cotton's methos requires alot of stitching- making the quilt heavier. Check out bayside quiltings fun & done, they have a free video at their website.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 12-20-2009, 02:43 PM

Thank you.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 PM

Thank you. The largest I have made is a throw. Someday I would like to attempt a queen size???