Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does the cost ever hold you back? >

Does the cost ever hold you back?

Does the cost ever hold you back?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by hsquiltingmom
I have the same problem. I have not taken a class yet, as the funding really isn't there, but I have checked out books from the library, and used those, and then I practice different techniques on hot pads, and use for gifts for my daughters. I also wanted a set of machine quilting frames, and I found online an e-book on how to make some for less than about $250.00. It is done by a guy named Richard. Hopefully my dh gets working on those soon. As for know, most of my projects have been crib size or smaller, but I have read that you can do any size on a regular sewing machine.
'Joe the Quilter' has a video out on how to make a quilt frame for around $25. This is for a hand quilting frame that can hold up to a king sized quilt. His method was very easy & I was pushing my hubby to make one but my mother beat him too it. :lol: Merry Christmas to me!! :-D

Lucy: What an excellent idea! I wonder if I could convince hubby to do that. It'd have to be at a lower price since $50 is waaaay out of our budget, but still, even $10 would add up over time. I drool over the thought of a Bernina with a stitch regulator!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I am going to have to look more into the quilt as you go :D:D:D
Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 PM

cost does hold me back some, but if you asked my husband he wouldn't agree :lol:
Old 12-18-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I have this thing in my head that if I'm going to go through all the trouble of making a quilt, it needs to be big enough to be practical - big enough to use. Which for me means basically queen-sized. I don't suppose I could quilt that with a regular sewing machine?
Yes, you can quilt a large quilt; however, start with lap sized quilts first, to get the hang of things before you attempt a large quilt. I would also like to let you know about 'quilt as you go', there are many different names, but it's all about the same. If you visit www.baysidequilting.com. The system is called fun & done, there is a short video that shows you how. Bascially you do each block to completion, then stitch them all together- it's an easier way to tackle a large quilt.
Yes, quilting can be expensive or not! Buy fabric only when it's on sale, check out your local fabric shops for 'deals', or online. And don't forget about thrift shops. Also check out 'superstar quilter' Bonnie Hunter's website, www.quiltville.com, she's frugal and she's even made quilts from her husbands' old shirts! She gives tutorials that you can download all for free.
Hope this helps!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 12-18-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by chattypatty
Hi, I am just finishing a rail fence -king size quilt. I made the top in 3 sections and quilted them each on my regular sewing machine. Now I am putting the 3 pieces together. It is working way better than I ever dreamed it would. I even machine sewed the joining seam cause it fit right in with the rest of my quilt pattern.
How do you know where to divide the quilt into 3rds? I've thought of doing this myself, but I suppose it depends on the pattern.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 12-18-2009, 02:03 PM

I lay my backing down, put batting down the middle and lay the top down, then pin. Start sewing in the middle and work your way out to about 6 inches from the edges, then lay batting over the edge of the existing batting, cut thru both layers and remove the small pieces and stitch the battings togeather by hand, pin the top down and stitch this. Then do the other side. It is no problem to get the quilt top and back in the throat of the machine. The batting is the major bulk. If it isn't there it is simpler.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mar32428
You cut your backing an inch larger than your block. Cut your batting same as block. Sandwich them and do your quilting, embroidery or whatever. Then sew one block to another, backing to backing. This puts the backing on the front where you fold and stitch it down to form the sashing. I tried it on a small throw and it works and is soooo easy to do.
I would love to learn more about this method.......does anyone know where I could find more details about this?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
cost does hold me back some, but if you asked my husband he wouldn't agree :lol:
My DH would agree with your DH!! :lol:
Old 12-18-2009, 04:08 PM

BarbS, just go to quilt as you go and they give you a basic instruction with pictures.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by craftygma47
BarbS, just go to quilt as you go and they give you a basic instruction with pictures.
I googled "quilt as you go" and got a ton of results.......not sure how to find the website you are refering to........:(

Thanks for any direction you can give :)