Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does the cost ever hold you back? >

Does the cost ever hold you back?

Does the cost ever hold you back?

Old 12-17-2009, 07:48 AM

I have a question...if you are machine quilting...do you start in the middle? I know that I need to do that for handquilting...
Old 12-17-2009, 09:02 AM

There are so many resources out there to help you get started on your own quilting! Here is one:
http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/
I have used free videos for everything since I have no shops or classes anywhere near me.
Good luck!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Ok have to admit I never knew what it would cost to start quilting. My husband and I live on a limited income since we retired. My sister taught me to sew and she let me use a lot of her tools for my first quilt. I brought things for myself as I went along. Once I had all the basic tools, and a sewing machine, the cost to quilt has only been dependent on what material I want to buy. I have been slowly building my stash over the past couple of years.
I knew I could never afford to have a professional quilt my quilts so I taught myself to do free-motion quilting on my basic sewing machine. I am still not where I would like to be but getting there. It takes practice, practice, practice and I am still perfecting my technique.
I think any price is worth the pleasure I personally get out of making a quilt for myself or someone I love.
I oil paint and also do stained glass work, they too can be expensive hobbies but like I said, I can't put a price on the satisfaction I get making something beautiful.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:21 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by Leota
I have a question...if you are machine quilting...do you start in the middle? I know that I need to do that for handquilting...
I always start in the middle. I find if you don't it is hard to get the fabric to distribute properly. I also pin baste, use a lot of pins. Just be sure not to accidently sew over them when you are quilting. I have broken a lot of needles doing that. I just get so into my quilting I sometimes do not see the pins, LOL.

:roll:
Old 12-17-2009, 12:44 PM

Hi "rivka",
I'm not sure what you mean by a frame? Do you use it with a regular sewing machine and how does it work exactly? Thanks. Sarah in CA

Originally Posted by rivka
If the idea of quilting on your regular sewing machine seems intimidating, another option is to get a machine quilting frame -- you can sometimes find them used on craigslist for less than $500, and it would theoretically pay for itself within a few quilts (i.e. compared to sending it to someone else to quilt). And there are many frames that would work with a regular sewing machine (although the kinds of patterns you could make would be somewhat limited). I love using a frame -- there's no tugging and rolling to fit the quilt underneath the machine throat, as it's all handled by the frame. It does take some practice and getting used to, though.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:34 PM

You don't have to bat the whole thing at once. Bat the middle and quilt it, then add batting to the side and quilt them one at a time and then go around the border. I did 2 kings this way. I just wnat a machine with a bigger neck. We built a quilting frame and I need an inexpensive machine just for quilting the quilt.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:35 PM

I agree with pennyswings. I know I persue quilting because of the love I have of working with fabrics. I have two hobbies. The scrapbook side of my craft room is filled with hundreds of dollars of free product that was given to me by a family member who works for a manufacturer. The embellishments sit, unopened, for the most part because scrapbooking doesn't give me the same satisfaction that quilting does.

My quilting side of my craft room is much more modest. There, things have been gathered a little at a time, over the period of many years. But working with the fabric brings me peace. I can spend hours with my sewing machine, and find myself cursing the night when I have to stop. If quilting brings you joy, you'll find a way to stretch the budget to make the hobby work for you. Good luck!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:38 PM

I think the main cost that bothered me was the sending it out to get quilted - but if there's a chance that I can do at least a lot of it myself, then I think I can handle this! There are always fantastic deals to be found on fabric online, plus I can always cut up old clothes!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

I was watching a little girl the other day...she was bundled up in a quilt in her stroller. She was playing with the furry fuzzy ties on her quilt. Many kids love doing this...even subconsciously while watching tv. Isn't that where the idea of tag quilts came from? :D:D:D
Old 12-17-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
Yep, same as with hand quilting. I think the only ones that don't have to do that are the ones who use a long arm and those who use a frame, like a Grace Frame or the frame that John Flynn puts out. Otherwise, you end up with puckers and it's too hard to ease in areas.