View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 08:44 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by sassysews2 View Post
I read on Leah Day forum not to expect to both piece and fmq successfully on the same machine. I bought a Bernina 180 expecting to be able to piece on it, (it fmq's very well, haven't used the embroidery unit) but due to the wide feed's it tends to twist & does not sew a good 1/4" seam. I've tried several methods of marking the seam, tape, 1/4" foot, magnetic do dad, sticky pad, moving needle etc. Everything I could think of or read about. Nothing works. (I have a 221 Featherweight for piecing but can't fmq on it). I don't want to invest a lot, have a Janome 6600P but it's too heavy to move to the family room where I sew in the winter. The Janome has spoiled me but I want a machine that is good and solid but not too heavy to move, has needle threader, start & stop, basically one I can fmq or piece. I HATE to keep switching machines, don't have enough room to set up 2 at the same time. I'd like to sell or trade the 180 but live a long way to the nearest shop that takes trade in's. Same thing for selling, live in rural area but no need to keep a machine I can't use or don't like but cost too much to give away. Any suggestions or recommendations??
I think, if you are talking moving it once in the fall and moving it back in the spring, then I'd ask a neighbor teen to come help you for about 5 min. Give him/her a bag of Doritos and some salsa (if you feel extravagent) and call it good. I don't think you are going to find a "cheap" replacement for your 6600 that will be equivalent. That would be like going from Moda fabric to the cheapest brand of Walmart fabric. Your cheap machine may work, but it won't act or feel the same.