Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need (want) another machine >

need (want) another machine

need (want) another machine

Old 02-23-2014, 08:28 AM

Default need (want) another machine

I read on Leah Day forum not to expect to both piece and fmq successfully on the same machine. I bought a Bernina 180 expecting to be able to piece on it, (it fmq's very well, haven't used the embroidery unit) but due to the wide feed's it tends to twist & does not sew a good 1/4" seam. I've tried several methods of marking the seam, tape, 1/4" foot, magnetic do dad, sticky pad, moving needle etc. Everything I could think of or read about. Nothing works. (I have a 221 Featherweight for piecing but can't fmq on it). I don't want to invest a lot, have a Janome 6600P but it's too heavy to move to the family room where I sew in the winter. The Janome has spoiled me but I want a machine that is good and solid but not too heavy to move, has needle threader, start & stop, basically one I can fmq or piece. I HATE to keep switching machines, don't have enough room to set up 2 at the same time. I'd like to sell or trade the 180 but live a long way to the nearest shop that takes trade in's. Same thing for selling, live in rural area but no need to keep a machine I can't use or don't like but cost too much to give away. Any suggestions or recommendations??
Old 02-23-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by sassysews2 View Post
I read on Leah Day forum not to expect to both piece and fmq successfully on the same machine. I bought a Bernina 180 expecting to be able to piece on it, (it fmq's very well, haven't used the embroidery unit) but due to the wide feed's it tends to twist & does not sew a good 1/4" seam. I've tried several methods of marking the seam, tape, 1/4" foot, magnetic do dad, sticky pad, moving needle etc. Everything I could think of or read about. Nothing works. (I have a 221 Featherweight for piecing but can't fmq on it). I don't want to invest a lot, have a Janome 6600P but it's too heavy to move to the family room where I sew in the winter. The Janome has spoiled me but I want a machine that is good and solid but not too heavy to move, has needle threader, start & stop, basically one I can fmq or piece. I HATE to keep switching machines, don't have enough room to set up 2 at the same time. I'd like to sell or trade the 180 but live a long way to the nearest shop that takes trade in's. Same thing for selling, live in rural area but no need to keep a machine I can't use or don't like but cost too much to give away. Any suggestions or recommendations??
I think, if you are talking moving it once in the fall and moving it back in the spring, then I'd ask a neighbor teen to come help you for about 5 min. Give him/her a bag of Doritos and some salsa (if you feel extravagent) and call it good. I don't think you are going to find a "cheap" replacement for your 6600 that will be equivalent. That would be like going from Moda fabric to the cheapest brand of Walmart fabric. Your cheap machine may work, but it won't act or feel the same.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 AM

I have a Brother pq1500s that does all my piecing and quilting ! I have never had a problem with it performing beautifully for either job ! It has a nice size throat as well so that is a nice plus ! It does not have a stop/start but it does have 4 feed dog settings, adjustable foot pressure, auto threader, and needle up/down.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

I've never heard that advice about not expecting to be able to piece and FMQ on the same machine. I hate to say it sounds like drivel, but, well, it does. Or maybe I have just been lucky. I haven't found a machine that wasn't fit for piecing, although some may be easier than others because of their bells and whistles. People do FMQ on their Featherweights, although the throat is small.

Is it possible that your 180 needs adjustment? It shouldn't be twisting the fabric. I'm not familiar with the 180, but I have no problem piecing on my 440, and doing FMQ on it too. I found this review of the 180 - http://lovestoquilt.com/guild.asp?ar...t/000605_a.asp
The reviewer states that the 1/4" foot doesn't work well with the 180, but tells how she was able to get a 1/4" seam using the all purpose foot and needle position #7. She states that the Bernina fed the fabric evenly without a problem.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:06 AM

I agree, I have done piecing and quillting on dreamy with no problems but I also never move my machine as it weighs about 50lbs
Old 02-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Leah Day is a pro and has books, classes, and a huge following. She probably knows good reasons for two machines from experience. For me it's because it s a pain in the butt to set up one machine to do both. Change the feet, change the needle, change the tension, test sew, before I can start sewing. I have a Bernina I use for piecing but won't use it for machine quilting even though it does a great job. I have a Brother 1500 I use for quilting but won't use it for piecing even though it does a great job.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:47 AM

I purchased a straight stitch plate for my Bernina when I am piecing. I love it! It makes piecing so much easier. The only thing, when I turn the machine off, I have to remember my settings or I will break a needle, since the default setting is different from the settings I use with the straight stitch plate. You can find this accessory and many others at your Bernina dealer. Oh, and if you subscribe to the Bernina newsletter, every month they feature a presser foot and they give a 25% discount on that foot. Plus, the Bernina newsletter is free and is full of projects. FYI, I am not affiliated with Bernina, I just own one.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:34 AM

Just because it is on a forum doesn't mean it is true. forum members all have opinions on everything, doesn't make anyone right.

Originally Posted by sassysews2 View Post
I read on Leah Day forum not to expect to both piece and fmq successfully on the same machine.

What a load of codswallop.

Get the single hole plate for you 6600, mine was about 25 bucks.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 02-23-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:58 AM

I have a Janome Horizon 7700 and use it for both. Takes about 1 minute (or less) to change from piecing to FMQ foot and a flip of the switch to lift the feed dogs.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:37 PM

I tend to agree with dunster and quilter2090.

I never heard about different machines for piecing/sewing and fmq'ing. None of my quilting friends has ever shared this either. We use what we have.

I do wonder if you are using the straight stitch throat plate though. Using this would help you considerably with fmq'ing.