Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need (want) another machine >

need (want) another machine

need (want) another machine

Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I have a Janome Horizon 7700 and use it for both. Takes about 1 minute (or less) to change from piecing to FMQ foot and a flip of the switch to lift the feed dogs.
I also have this machine. Use it for both. I have never heard of such a thing. Is Leah Day selling machines now?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:32 AM

Ahh .. it was her blog, not a forum. This is the original article she posted about the subject. http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...conundrum.html

Her second article is here ... http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...w-machine.html

I DO understand what she's saying ... in some cases, one machine may not be enough to satisfy you but she never once says that you MUST have two machines to do piecing and quilting. She said that at the time, in 2009, that was her preference.

My experience when I was using low end machines was pretty much the same actually ... One machine did not do everything I needed. The machines that exist today have pretty much made that a thing of the past ...
Old 02-24-2014, 10:17 AM

I have a small Janome DC 2010. I use it to piece and I quilt on it. Granted I just started FMQ'ing on it recently.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 PM

I wonder if you couldn't buy a sewing table with rollers that lock. Then you could push it where ever you wanted-if it would fit through the doorway.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
Ahh .. it was her blog, not a forum. This is the original article she posted about the subject. http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...conundrum.html

Her second article is here ... http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...w-machine.html

I DO understand what she's saying ... in some cases, one machine may not be enough to satisfy you but she never once says that you MUST have two machines to do piecing and quilting. She said that at the time, in 2009, that was her preference.

My experience when I was using low end machines was pretty much the same actually ... One machine did not do everything I needed. The machines that exist today have pretty much made that a thing of the past ...
As I understood her, she ended up with a Horizon 7700 which she seemed to love and worked for her at a reasonable cost. However, she later updated to a 8900 as something broke on it, as I understand it.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:45 AM

I have many machines also. I have a HV Diamond I only use for embroidery. I have an SE that has the walking foot on it that I use for binding, etc. I have an old/antique Singer up in my bedroom by the TV that I use for piecing while watching TV. I have a longarm (two) so I don't FMQ on a sewing machine, but I have machines all over the house so I can sew wherever I want. With all the new electronic machines I have, I still prefer the old Singers for piecing. I have to get a neighbor to help if I want to move a machine, so I try to have one in every room now. LOL
Old 02-25-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
As I understood her, she ended up with a Horizon 7700 which she seemed to love and worked for her at a reasonable cost. However, she later updated to a 8900 as something broke on it, as I understand it.

Nothing broke on the 7700; she traded it in when she went to get it cleaned because she saw the 8900 and decided she liked it better. Plus, she said they gave her a really good deal on the trade in.

I have an 8900 as well, and I have VERY mixed feelings about it. Yesterday I was ready to toss it out the window. In fact, I'm planning to buy a new machine next month, and the 8900 may well find itself on Craigslist ...
Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 AM

Which type of machine you do general sewing on, piece on or FMQ on is such a personal matter. I have a Singer 221 that I love to piece on-whenever I am away from home. Its stitch is perfect. I also have a Singer 401A that I love also. I use it mostly when I am at home and have a FMQ project going on with the main sewing station. I put it on a table and use it as any other portable. I also take this one in our camper in the summer. It sews beautifully as do al the vintage Singers. I did purchase a new Bernina 530 recently and do most of my FMQing on it. Bernina has prided itself in the design of its #37 patchwork foot in that holding your work so that the edge of it comes just to the edge of the foot keeps the work on the feed dogs and is a 1/4 seam. You do not need to change any needle positions. This machine sets down in a cabinet that my husband built so it is flush with the table. I did not trade my Bernina 1130 in to get the new machine because I did not want to have to replace all of the presser feet I had. (The fact that the presser feet were not universal for Berninas was the down side of a new machine (planned obsolescence). I really like my new machine but I wouldn't want to give up my old ones-they are just comfortable. I also have a treadle that I like to use just for fun. If you purchase a new machine you should be willing to learn to do all that machine was designed to do. I know that weight is a problem in this thread but a wheeled device or a strong neighbor will help-just be careful of the reasons you employ to justify a change.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 AM

I have also purchased a single hole needle plate for my Bernina, and it really helps.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:32 AM

I don't believe that Lea Day was telling everyone to have two machines....she is a Janome gal when it comes to both piecing and FMQ. She has used the 6600/7700 and now 8900. I have a 6600 and a 8900. I do piecing and FMQ on both with no problems. I replaced my walking foot on the 8900, but both machines are great. I would suggest that you have a neighbor or someone from church to come over to move your machine. I like the idea of a cart with wheels to move it too.