View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Mizkaki

Miriam,

To get the slide plate spring screw out look for a small set screw that holds the first screw tight. If I remember correctly the set screw is on the front lip of the bed.

Cathy
Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have a Singer 500 I've been working on for the last couple days - I have a stuck hand wheel and a stuck screw holding in the broken spring that holds the front slide plate. The motor was seized when I got it. I got it free then put it back in the machine. The machine turns very freely with out the motor. The motor turns freely but the two together don't move at all just like before I pulled the motor and cleaned the machine... The hand wheel has had some time out with some T-F squirted in the vicinity to no avail, has had a bit of heat and a few knocks with a rubber mallet. I wonder if mechanic's gloves would give me a good enough grip on that wheel to get it to turn. The spring screw is very small and fragile - I hope the dried up oil or what ever is holding is will loosen up in a few days. I may have to direct some heat onto it and see if that helps. I like having a slide plate stay in place when I sew.