Noisy Singer 500

Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 PM

Default Noisy Singer 500

Has anyone had problems with excessive noise (or vibration) in a Singer 500? If so, please share your experiences or ideas.

I was gifted with a Singer 500 in a cabinet (both in good cosmetic shape) to help with the quilts for homeless families project. It came with nice attachments. It was very close to being seized up and it was obvious it hadn't been used in years. I cleaned the dirt off and oiled, lubed, and adjusted everything. There were quite a few things wrong, but I got them fixed one by one. I did a sewing test and was very pleased with the test results. It sewed a good, clean, balanced stitch with every combination and cam. It had a great straight stitch, the best I've seen in a long time.

So I let it sit there basking in Tri-Flow for several months, and finally talked hubby into letting me set it up and sew in the living room (since I have mobility issues and have not been able to go down to my sewing room much in the past year). I set it up a couple days ago. What a beauty!

The stitch was great. I was using mostly a straight stitch, wide throat plate, zig zag foot, and sewing on four layers of cotton, with seams (string quilt blocks). The manual says this is fine. However, the machine made a LOT of noise, so much that hubby could not hear the TV over it. It also had a growling sound. It kept coming unthreaded. The bobbin area felt unsteady. The noise and vibration were coming from under the machine, to the right of the throat plate. I looked it over carefully and don't see any reason for it.

I changed thread and that seemed to help. I had a new 90 needle in it. The bobbin case did not seem to be seated properly. I took the bobbin out and did some cleaning, and found a wad of thread hiding under the bobbin case area, left over from the previous owner. I cleaned that out, oiled everything on the top, bobbin case area, and under the left door. I replaced the bobbin case and bobbin with the ones that came with the machine. (And yes, it is threaded properly and the needle is in correctly.) It was making a really good stitch BUT still loud and growling. I oiled everything applicable under the machine, noting that there was enough clean grease on the gears. I let the oil seep in overnight and tried it again today. It sews like a dream, stitch wise, is a little less loud, and still has the growling sound and very noticeable vibration under the bed. I should mention that it no longer unthreads itself, the tension is good, and otherwise it is fine. It does have the strangest sound, and I can't really identify it. The machine did hesitate a lot, and after it's second oiling, no longer does.

I have a 401 that does not do this noise/vibration and still sews fine. Can anyone give me ideas of what might be wrong, or what to do?

Thanks,
Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 03-03-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:55 PM

motor growling? see one of the comments here http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/02/...-401-401a.aspx
Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Power Poster

I is very likely the bearings on the top of the motor - remove the motor and put a couple drops of oil on there - then turn the shaft back and forth working the oil into the bearings until it quiets down. You will know when you pull the motor if it is the bearings because you will be able to hear or feel the rough dried oil on those bearings when you turn the shaft. Sew-classic carries the bearings in her parts sales.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:22 AM

I put oil on the top shaft bearing of both my 500s while the motor was in the machine. No need to remove it first. Just take the top off, and put a couple drops of 30WT oil right down on the bearing at the bottom of the drive shaft.

Noise could be a lack of lubrication. 500s need lots of oil and grease. Lots of places to lube. Check the owners manual it has a lubrication chart.
Getting it clean before lubing also helps.

Joe
Old 03-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Joe, when they are really loud and gravelly sounding I pull the motor because then I can work it in by turning it back and forth - there really is no need but I think it is less stress on the motor to do it that way plus I can get a better feel for it.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:53 AM

Miriam,

I've not taken one out yet. To lazy I guess. I clean the hand wheel gear, the motor shaft gear, and the area around it.
Then I run it up without the hand wheel in it and listen to it. After that the hand wheel goes back on, the gears get greased, the couple drops of oil dropped on the top bearing, let it soak a bit, and I put the power to it slowly. Then run it. I've found it also needs heat with the oil to get in the top bearing and soften up the old grease.

It can be done either way. I just leave it in.

Joe
Old 03-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

I have a Singer 500 I've been working on for the last couple days - I have a stuck hand wheel and a stuck screw holding in the broken spring that holds the front slide plate. The motor was seized when I got it. I got it free then put it back in the machine. The machine turns very freely with out the motor. The motor turns freely but the two together don't move at all just like before I pulled the motor and cleaned the machine... The hand wheel has had some time out with some T-F squirted in the vicinity to no avail, has had a bit of heat and a few knocks with a rubber mallet. I wonder if mechanic's gloves would give me a good enough grip on that wheel to get it to turn. The spring screw is very small and fragile - I hope the dried up oil or what ever is holding is will loosen up in a few days. I may have to direct some heat onto it and see if that helps. I like having a slide plate stay in place when I sew.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:30 PM

Miriam,

To get the slide plate spring screw out look for a small set screw that holds the first screw tight. If I remember correctly the set screw is on the front lip of the bed.

Cathy
Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have a Singer 500 I've been working on for the last couple days - I have a stuck hand wheel and a stuck screw holding in the broken spring that holds the front slide plate. The motor was seized when I got it. I got it free then put it back in the machine. The machine turns very freely with out the motor. The motor turns freely but the two together don't move at all just like before I pulled the motor and cleaned the machine... The hand wheel has had some time out with some T-F squirted in the vicinity to no avail, has had a bit of heat and a few knocks with a rubber mallet. I wonder if mechanic's gloves would give me a good enough grip on that wheel to get it to turn. The spring screw is very small and fragile - I hope the dried up oil or what ever is holding is will loosen up in a few days. I may have to direct some heat onto it and see if that helps. I like having a slide plate stay in place when I sew.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Miriam,

To get the slide plate spring screw out look for a small set screw that holds the first screw tight. If I remember correctly the set screw is on the front lip of the bed.

Cathy
I found it - it's stuck but good and I'm afraid that little screw is going to break - I already bent it a good one. I'm wondering if heat is in order. It's been soaking T-F for a while now. The hand wheel doesn't budge - we tried your trick with a wood block - there is nothing to grip either. I don't want to tear up the paint - it is in nice shape.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I had the same issue with this Singer 500, Miriam (stuck hand wheel). It's one of the earlier problems I solved. The way I solved it was to SPRAY the sprayable Tri-Flow (in the large black bottle with the spray pump) on the area, let it set, spray again, etc. That fine spray can get into areas where other oils cannot. That spray has saved many a machine. If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it. It saves a lot of trouble.

Joe, does it have to be 30 weight oil on the motor ball bearings? Like car oil? Won't Tri-Flow work? I want to be sure to do the right thing. I haven't taken it apart again yet. I do know Singer has a motor lubricant and I think I have a tube somewhere. It would be old, of course.

[The fact that the furnace has stopped working on the coldest day on record doesn't help! At least I do have electricity and the oven. The furnace guy has missed three promised arrival times so far.]

Cricket