Noisy Singer 500

Old 03-04-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I found it - it's stuck but good and I'm afraid that little screw is going to break - I already bent it a good one. I'm wondering if heat is in order. It's been soaking T-F for a while now. The hand wheel doesn't budge - we tried your trick with a wood block - there is nothing to grip either. I don't want to tear up the paint - it is in nice shape.
I vote for heat and patience. Sometimes, Ray White would let a machine sit two weeks after using Tri-Flow to loosen it. He said when he got back to it, often the problem had solved itself.

Cricket
Old 03-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
I had the same issue with this Singer 500, Miriam (stuck hand wheel). It's one of the earlier problems I solved. The way I solved it was to SPRAY the sprayable Tri-Flow (in the large black bottle with the spray pump) on the area, let it set, spray again, etc. That fine spray can get into areas where other oils cannot. That spray has saved many a machine. If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it. It saves a lot of trouble.

Joe, does it have to be 30 weight oil on the motor ball bearings? Like car oil? Won't Tri-Flow work? I want to be sure to do the right thing. I haven't taken it apart again yet. I do know Singer has a motor lubricant and I think I have a tube somewhere. It would be old, of course.

[The fact that the furnace has stopped working on the coldest day on record doesn't help! At least I do have electricity and the oven. The furnace guy has missed three promised arrival times so far.]

Cricket
As you know I'm not a fan of spraying T-F - right now I put about a half a can of T-F down the little screw hole of the clutch and I've been tilting the machine in various directions for the past few days hoping some flows in. The machine had hardly any oil inside and a ton of nicotine on the outside. I'm not sure what is holding in those two screws. I'm hoping the tension works better than the 503 I got the day before I got the 500. It took a lot of fiddling but the 503 is now working just fine, Cathy. I know a lot more about 500 and 503 tensions than I used to - well until I forget again...
Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
I had the same issue with this Singer 500, Miriam (stuck hand wheel). It's one of the earlier problems I solved. The way I solved it was to SPRAY the sprayable Tri-Flow (in the large black bottle with the spray pump) on the area, let it set, spray again, etc. That fine spray can get into areas where other oils cannot. That spray has saved many a machine. If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it. It saves a lot of trouble.

Joe, does it have to be 30 weight oil on the motor ball bearings? Like car oil? Won't Tri-Flow work? I want to be sure to do the right thing. I haven't taken it apart again yet. I do know Singer has a motor lubricant and I think I have a tube somewhere. It would be old, of course.

[The fact that the furnace has stopped working on the coldest day on record doesn't help! At least I do have electricity and the oven. The furnace guy has missed three promised arrival times so far.]

Cricket
Cricket,
30WT motor oil is what was recommended when I was told about this trick.
The idea is for the oil to seep into the bearing, and with the heat of using the motor, soften the grease inside. I don't know how T-F would work for that, so I just recommend what I know does work.

Joe
Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 AM

Miriam,

I wonder if it has a bunch of thread wrapped around the handwheel and upper shaft? I’ve had one or two other models of machines that had what looked like a spool of thread wadded up in there. Not sure how. Maybe a filled bobbin got left on the BW and the tail got down in there somehow and it got sucked in.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-05-2014, 01:18 AM

This one looked like it sucked thread in around the handwheel from the nearby spool pin.

Can’t you imagine the operator’s thoughts when they looked at the empty spool on the pin, and thought: **Seems like that spool had thread on it just a minute ago......** LOL

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails mvc-008s.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 AM

Here’s a White 999 that came with the complaint that “It starts sewing, and then it locks up.”

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails mvc-022s.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 01:55 AM

Here’s a Kenmore that took a pipe wrench to get the clutch knob loose and removed.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails mvc-124s.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 03:34 AM

Cricket, remove your bobbin; on the floor of the bobbin case, right in the middle is what looks like a circle, put a drop of oil or two on it and let it soak for maybe 5 minutes, run the machine intermittently for a few minutes then run her full out. She may scream and howl a bit at first but will thank you for it when the oil finally gets into whatever area is under there causing the problem. I had your same issue with 3 different 400 and 500 series machines. This took care of it every time.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 AM

I have been working on a Singer 99K for a while. Nothing but the slide plate (it flops; doesn't come off; just flops from side to side -weird) and a serious thirst for oil/lubrication appears to be the problem but the bearings probably would appreciate a drink.

When I get a chance to sew on it, I am going to get serious, but until then I am going to keep close track on the subjects in this conversation.

Thank you all.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

We got the knob off - MECHANIC'S GLOVES!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]465812[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mechanics-gloves-001.jpg