Noisy Singer 201k

Old 09-30-2013, 02:50 PM

Default Noisy Singer 201k

Hi Gang,
I've cleaned and oiled my 1957 201k, its still making a weird bearing noise from the bobbin area. I've cleaned and oiled everything I can, but it sounds like the bearings in the gear right below the bobbin/hook assembly are rubbing, or need lubrication. How do you get in there, I've already taken the caps off the gears you can see them fine, I think the noise is from inside the rod that connects those gears to the bobin assembly. Any help with trying to determine this noise and get rid of it would be super appreciated.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:07 PM

Ok, so I've figured out that its the bobbin holder piece that is making noise, if I push down on it it goes quiet, but when I let go it goes back to being really loud again. Uuugh, this machine sews beautifully, but it so loud it makes it almost unberable.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 PM

Tri-Flow oil and grease is your friend. There is a gear set directly under the bobbin assembly. If it's dry it will make noise. Another one below the pillar. Plus lots of places to oil.

Make sure there is no lint, fuzz, thread and debris in the bobbin assembly before you oil it.

Joe
Old 09-30-2013, 08:39 PM

Hi Joe,
I'm going to try those products. One thing, in the 201 manual, its says to OIL the gears under the bobin and below the pillar that are hidden under those caps, there is no mention of putting gear lubricant on them at all. This seemed weird to me as I put gear lubricant on all my other machines that have gears. What's your thougths on this?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 AM

i seem to remember on mine that the springy retainer around the bobbin base is/was a little deformed from someone prying it open, hence it would rub against needle. It seemed like a bit of a detriment of the design.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Redsquirrel,

I do not have an original manual for my 201, just a .pdf free printout. I just checked and it does call for oil on the gears.
However I used Tri-Flow grease on those gears and it's worked just fine. Other Singer manuals I've got specifically state to NOT use oil on the gears, but to use grease. It makes no sense to me for one machine manual to call for oil on the gears which will be flung off as they spin leaving them dry, and another machine manual to state not to use oil, but to use grease.
So, I used the T-F grease. So far, so good.

Joe
Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 PM

So, now my motor is sounding strained at slow speeds. I've taken it apart and cleaned it according to how everyone says to do it. Its still sparking around the carbon brushes and making a buzzing sound at low speed and it seems to be not getting enough electricity from the pedal until its pushed almost all the way down. Is this a pedal problem. The motor is really quiet with the belt off of it.

Also, how easy is your wheel supposed to turn when the motor is attached to it via the belt? Mine seems awefully slugglish. I've oiled everything I've possible could. I'm starting to think this machine wants to be loud, but I want it to be quiet as a mouse.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
Mine seems awefully slugglish.
Could the belt be too tight? That would cause it to slow and cause all the problems you mention. Try loosening the screw and slacken the belt a little at a time and test it.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 PM

what is a 201 worth I saw one today in a cabinet for 75.00
Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 PM

If its quiet and good quality stitch than I think $75 is a good price for one if its in really good shape.