Thread: sneak peak
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 06:07 AM
Macybaby

This cabinet would have had a drawer stack on the side with the flip part of the table - anyone have a good picture of what the drawers would have looked like? I've seen some but they are distant enough that I can't get a good look at them.

I know the owner of this antique shop quite well, and he told me that someone had really wanted to buy just the foot pedal off this machine - because it says "Davis" on it. They wanted to hang it on their wall.

I know this machine isn't a "3/4" size as that is the "full size" of the machines made at the time, they just started making them bigger after this - the "high arm" style, which isn't high arm compared to what we'd call "high arm" today. So I have the first version of the Davis walking foot, and the last version of the Davis walking foot.

I broke several "rules"
1. No Boat Shuttle machines
2. Different enough than what I already have (I had a Davis Walking foot machine already)
3. Model was offered for sale during the 1900-1930 period, or it's an earlier model that is substantially the same.
4. NO MORE TREADLE CABINETS

Though #4 is simply because I'm out of room, but I need to do a better job of sticking to the other three. I'm not tempted by the earlier machines that don't have the "look" of the later machines. I didn't really want a Wilcox and Gibbs, except that they were one of the major payers in the market during the time I'm collecting, so I needed one of them too. I'll leave the funky looking machines to SteveH.