View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Macybaby

Default I was just gonna look - Honest

I have a confession to make - I bought a non-vintage machine today.

It is used, so at least I didn't completely fall off the wagon.

I've been considering an embroidery machine, but wasn't sure if I wanted to fork over that much money. We went into the local town today, stopped at the discount fabric shop and picked up some supplies, wandered over the antique shop and bought some crochet doilies, passed on a Singer T&S 700 series for $27.50 and then went down the block to the quilt shop that sells Pfaff machines.

They had the second to the top line machine on sale for $5,000, which was quite a bit more than I wanted to spend, but doable . . . but I told them I wanted to start cheap to see if I even liked machine embroidery. Turns out they had a very nice used machine with all the attachments and computer USP adapter and three hopes. They took it in a trade on a newer one and it was fully serviced and ready to sew. Got a nice demonstration and I asked them what the new one did that this one didn't, and it was mostly software related or the graphical interface, not that much in what the machine itself did.

And then my husband asked what they wanted for the used one, and she said $1,100. And he looked at me and said "if you want this one, you have my blessing" So it came home with us.

And the shop owner said if I decided I loved embroidery and wanted to upgrade, she'd give me what I paid for this one in trade on a new model.

So now I have TWO machines in the house that are less than 30 years old. Now I have to figure out where I'm going to put this one!