Thread: colors
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Cedar

I think I do this more often than not. The quilt I'm working on isn't in my colors. I don't really have anything green and its monochromatic green. Of course, I don't imagine it's for me either. I really don't need another twin quilt. I'm doing it because I flipped through designs on pintrest looking for what other people had done and found a really simple one that reminded me of a forest floor and I wanted to see if I could do something similar. I did it because it happened to inspire me.

The quilt I've already made is not colors I typically work with either. It was more inspired by this beige batique in my grandmas squares I liked that lead me to this bold butterfly pattern that lead to alot of blues and greens. I didn't have any idea what I was going to do with it until I got it home and realized that beige, light blue, and light green were the colors I was planning on painting the living room, so its the official living room throw blanket now.

For me color is just part of the inspiration and design process. However, I am reminded of a phenomenon we discussed in color theory where people are attracted to colors that go with their particular physical coloration. Someone is more likely to pick out a color they can wear well than one that can't.