Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
colors >

colors

colors

Old 03-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Default colors

One of my quilting instructors made this statement about doing quilts in someone's "colors". "I didn't know every quilt had to be made in a person's "colors". I have quilts all through my house and never think ,oh, this isn't the right color to use in this room. I thought a quilt is to be used."
She wasn't against making a quilt for someone in their favorite colors, but she thinks we maybe losing something by being so "careful".
Any thoughts on the subject?
Cookie5
Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 AM

I try to make gift quilts in colors that are pleasing to the recipient....to ensure that they will be used and not stuffed into a closet somewhere, never to be seen again
Old 03-16-2014, 11:47 AM

I make quilts with colors that I like, I make a couple of them for me, and I donate the rest, the kids receiving them, don't care if their quilt is made with their "colors". If you don't like working with certain colors, then don't buy those colors, because YOU won't like the resulting quilt, in spite of the fact that someone else will like it.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:39 PM

I absolutly understand and like the instructors philosophy. My quilts are to be used and hopefully loved I do try to make it in a color and style the giftie will like, I do not try to exactly match their color scheme or theme of the room. Someone who needs it that well matched probably would not keep the a quilt visable when not in use anyway. even bed quilts I make something I think they'll enjoy if they end up keeping it under the giant bedspread or comforter no big deal at least it's being used to keep them warm.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 PM

I think I do this more often than not. The quilt I'm working on isn't in my colors. I don't really have anything green and its monochromatic green. Of course, I don't imagine it's for me either. I really don't need another twin quilt. I'm doing it because I flipped through designs on pintrest looking for what other people had done and found a really simple one that reminded me of a forest floor and I wanted to see if I could do something similar. I did it because it happened to inspire me.

The quilt I've already made is not colors I typically work with either. It was more inspired by this beige batique in my grandmas squares I liked that lead me to this bold butterfly pattern that lead to alot of blues and greens. I didn't have any idea what I was going to do with it until I got it home and realized that beige, light blue, and light green were the colors I was planning on painting the living room, so its the official living room throw blanket now.

For me color is just part of the inspiration and design process. However, I am reminded of a phenomenon we discussed in color theory where people are attracted to colors that go with their particular physical coloration. Someone is more likely to pick out a color they can wear well than one that can't.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:10 PM
DJ

In my home, I do like a quilt in a room to coordinate with my decorating scheme. And I have a rather hard time getting myself to do a scrap quilt. I also like symmetry . . . but that's just me. It doesn't disturb me to enter into a less-coordinated room. I can enjoy them. I just probably wouldn't want to live with it. Different strokes.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:36 PM

I tend to gravitate to certain colors. Looking at quilts on this board make me wish I could put some of these soft colors together. When I pick the soft colors I always think I need to add something for a pop. Other times I make things out of my comfort zone just because they look fun. These I usually give away anyhow. Just enjoy working on different colors from time to time. It gets boring if I stick to my normal color pallet.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:50 PM

I usually only make scrappy, so one of the colors in it should match their décor...several might contrast. I haven't had one returned yet, and I get request for more. I have made some with certain colors, and even for me, they are stacked in my sewing room, the one in my living room is a strip quilt, all different colors.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:54 PM

I use colors recipients like.... my own are bold with high contrast. When I wanted to make a quilt for my sister I saved pastels... she loves them. Then one day i said she should buy some... her response: "I'd never use that fabric... it wouldn't look good in my house".... dumped the pastel idea and went with blues/white.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:38 PM

I use co.our combinations I either like or have those amounts in my hoard of fabric. I do know friends who have to reproduce the pattern exactly in fabric , colours and quilting to me this would not be my quilt but a cy.