Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
colors >

colors

colors

Old 03-17-2014, 07:18 PM

Maybe she was trying to get her students to go outside of their comfort zone with color since many people are afraid to use other colors than there favorites. The more you learn about color and ways to use it to good effect the more confident you become in your fabric selections.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:35 AM

This is a rabbit trail from this discussion, but if I am redecorating a room and will be making a new quilt for it, I find fabrics I like for the quilt and then pick the new paint color to match the fabric. It's much easier to match paint color to a quilt than to find fabric to match a certain paint color. I might even take some paint swatches that I like to the fabric store and try to match them, but if the fabric color isn't quite right, I can then find a better match of paint.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:01 AM

I am presently in a global swap. Each of the participants was asked to complete a form about themselves and one of the questions was about colors. The first lady, for March, asked for "country colors." She said she liked colors that reminded her of nature. So when I made her block I tried to fulfill that request by using colors that we see in nature. I hadn't really ever given that a thought. After I pick a pattern I start looking at the fabrics I have to use. There are patterns that, to me, cry out to be in blues. There are some fabrics that I have purchased purely because I just loved the colors. When I recently organized my sewing room, for the umpteenth time, I put my fabrics in order of theme. I wish I had done it order of color. Ah well on the next re-organization.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:44 AM

That instructor sounds like quilt police. I wouldn't take her words to heart. Quilting is the quilter's art, including color selection. Do it the way you want.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I thik she may have been trying to tell the class to think of the recipient when selecting colors for an item.

Was she talking about personal coloring - or was she talking about the colors of the home decor?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:21 PM

I love this board!! only would be better if it had a like button!!
I spend more time than I have trying to get things perfect (never is) so now I do the best I can get it done and on to the next!! My life is going so fast and I want all my candle to be used before my light goes out