Thread: What ?!?!?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 04:37 AM
Bneighbor

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
being a quilter is not the same as being a seamstress.
being a seamstress is not the same as being a quilter.

the two activities use a few of the same tasks, but often not in the same way or in pursuit of the same type of finished item.
Thank you for this, I would love to use it as a quote painted on my sewing room wall! I am from both sides of the fence. I started out piecing as a child, "play-sewing" with mom and grandma. In my very early teens, I went into garment construction, then doing costumes, wedding gowns and formal wear. I picked up quilting, again, in my 40s but still designed and constructed elaborate wedding gowns. I had a problem with a so-called "customer" which made me re-think working with the public (stalking, death threats, you know, everyday stuff). I now sew for fun only or an occasional wedding for only family or daughters (or sons) of good friends. Anyone wants a zipper replaced in jeans or coats better find someone else. I constantly hear "but why, you have all those sewing machines, the extra cash will help pay for them". First, they are all paid for. Second, I have them for MY benefit. Just got asked last week how much to replace a zipper in a pair of jeans. Told her $200.00. "WHAT? I can buy 4 pairs of jeans for that!" I said exactly! Go buy new jeans! Lol