Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What ?!?!?

What ?!?!?

Howdy y'all :c)

OK.....so we all know I'm a quilter. Which for all intents and purposes, means I'm a seamstress. So would someone PLEASE explain to me why my pants cuffs look like this?!?!? I'm SUCH a failure..... *hanging head in shame*

Donna
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DonnaFreak

"Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather straps."

Power Poster
    You must be just like me! Everyone else's mending gets done but mine.

Blog Entries
    simple, I don't and you probably don't hem. it's easier to make pants then to hem them.
    use duct tape, or I just buy pants that are cut short.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Use that Serger! I buy blouses that are way too long now and mark a line on the bottom and away I go with the serger and wear them just like that.

IMHO what self-respecting Quilter wants to waste their time hemming, mending, darning, or repairing zippers? Not me for certain! If I want that kind of aggravation, I'll go back to work. There are too many wonderful quilts to be working on instead!

So I don't see the problem . . .

Your too busy making quilts to sew hems!!

Pat in MN

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    IMHO what self-respecting Quilter wants to waste their time hemming, mending, darning, or repairing zippers? Not me for certain! If I want that kind of aggravation, I'll go back to work. There are too many wonderful quilts to be working on instead!

AMEN !!! i second that ...

Got any steam-a-seam for applique? Instant hem, no sewing!

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    I'm with the others. Just too lazy to do my own but take the time to do others. Just wish I was a little taller then would not have to hem. To heck with shorter, I'm already 2" shorter that high school and several lbs heavier.
    Ba Hum Bug!

When I need to hem pants or anything else, I take it to a lady who sews clothing. Those days are over for me, I am a quilter now.

Blog Entries
    You could have put binding on them before you washed them, and now also!

LOL. My nephew told me once, that for a sewer, I was the only person in my family that rolled pants legs. LOL I still chuckle about that.
    So. Idaho-between Nevada & Sun Valley, Ida

ughhh . . . can't blame you. I just can't make myself get those jobs done.

Blog Entries
    I'm a quilter, not a hemmer.

I've been on a tear making some charity quilt tops for the past week. I'm on my sixth. On my dresser are two pairs of socks, one toe hole in each pair. I like these socks too much to throw them out so I plan to make those small repairs. Some day.

Blog Entries
    being a quilter is not the same as being a seamstress.
    being a seamstress is not the same as being a quilter.

the two activities use a few of the same tasks, but often not in the same way or in pursuit of the same type of finished item.

trouser hems are a pain. the best way to get them right is to pin them up while the person is wearing them. (to save wear and tear on your back, have the person stand on a sturdy stool or level chair so you don't have to kneel and crouch to see what you're doing.)
    once they are pinned, turn them inside out. measure along the fold to mark and trim an even hem allowance and to get rid of the frayed bits.
    to avoid fold marks, attach seam binding.

if your machine can do a blind hem stitch (most can), refer to the manual to see how it's done.
    otherwise, it's best to hem by hand. space the stitches about a quarter inch apart. catch only one or two threads from the outside layer with each stitch.

if they are not your pants, my advice would be to hand them back to the owner and tell them to surf the internet for instructions. [mmmmwwwwaaaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaa]
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Make capris or turn into shorts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    There is nothing better to wear when you are quilting in the summer than a beautiful pair of jean, khaki or whatever pants you have that have developed holes in the knees than the ever wearing, comfortable, easy to wash, let's see what else, cut-offs. I wear cutoffs all summer long except when I go out. I walk the dog, I hang up clothes on the line, I clean the house, I do everything in cut offs! Save them, use them, when you get a pair of jeans with holes in the knees (I mean the kind that have already had patches ironed on the knees and you have gone through the patches. It takes a few washings to get those beautiful frays. Hey, I'm 75! I am frugal, love fashion and I am a fashionista when it comes to cut offs. DON'T DO ANYTHING TO THEM! Wear them with pride, knowing everyone else is out of style and you look the very best - and a nice little tank top on those 95 degree days doesn't hurt either. I use them when I go fishing. You don't mind wiping your wormy hands on cut offs. Seriously though, I love my cutoffs! I have a holey pair of jeans in the drawer just begging to be worn this later spring and summer with the frays at the end. I will make them happy!!!!!! And then tell whose ever pants they are to go out and buy a new pair or cut them off. And besides which, you buy pants that are frayed like that or holey, have you ever seen the price of them? Happy Spring! Edie
    Last edited by Edie; 03-20-2014 at 03:18 AM.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Isn't that the fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    When I need to hem pants or anything else, I take it to a lady who sews clothing. Those days are over for me, I am a quilter now.
    Mostly - ME TOO! I will hem jeans - found a way to do it in 15 minutes but zippers or something more involved - no way!
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Asking a quilter to do mending is like asking Picasso to paint your garage. It's waaaay beneath you!

Blog Entries
    Use one sock from each pair and only throw one pair away. Problem solved. Oh, and the new trend is non matching socks. Again. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
    I've been on a tear making some charity quilt tops for the past week. I'm on my sixth. On my dresser are two pairs of socks, one toe hole in each pair. I like these socks too much to throw them out so I plan to make those small repairs. Some day.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Quote Originally Posted by Billie G View Post
    LOL. My nephew told me once, that for a sewer, I was the only person in my family that rolled pants legs. LOL I still chuckle about that.
    I thought I was the only one who rolled hems instead of actually hemming them! I have some church suits that the sleeves need to be hemmed shorter, and I just turn up a "cuff" instead of doing the hemming.....I can't remember that they need to be shortened until the next time I pull them out to wear.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    being a quilter is not the same as being a seamstress.
    being a seamstress is not the same as being a quilter.

the two activities use a few of the same tasks, but often not in the same way or in pursuit of the same type of finished item.
    Thank you for this, I would love to use it as a quote painted on my sewing room wall! I am from both sides of the fence. I started out piecing as a child, "play-sewing" with mom and grandma. In my very early teens, I went into garment construction, then doing costumes, wedding gowns and formal wear. I picked up quilting, again, in my 40s but still designed and constructed elaborate wedding gowns. I had a problem with a so-called "customer" which made me re-think working with the public (stalking, death threats, you know, everyday stuff). I now sew for fun only or an occasional wedding for only family or daughters (or sons) of good friends. Anyone wants a zipper replaced in jeans or coats better find someone else. I constantly hear "but why, you have all those sewing machines, the extra cash will help pay for them". First, they are all paid for. Second, I have them for MY benefit. Just got asked last week how much to replace a zipper in a pair of jeans. Told her $200.00. "WHAT? I can buy 4 pairs of jeans for that!" I said exactly! Go buy new jeans! Lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast