Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What ?!?!?

I must inform my family regularly that my Bernina does not repair. It builds new!

Just pretend you are binding them. I have several pair like that also.
    Phyllis Driggs

Blog Entries
    Hey, it's because you like the raggedy look!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When you get that far down on your stash then you can cross over to your cuffs and hem them. Or do what my neighbor does. She gets a large piece of trim and just stitched it over the cuff. Her DH walked in on her one day and asked why she didn't have her pants on even though she was otherwise dressed and she told him she was working on her britches as they spoke. He just walked out shaking his head!!!LOL!!! That is how she rolls!!!

I hate to sew but love to quilt.
    Don't like mending or patterns that never fit. It costs less to buy ready made anyway.
    Hem pants by hand since my machine dosnt like bumps.
    You can buy a quilt for $39 dollars ready made. Even have a couple, one a wedding ring which I would never make and a tropical one with a beach cabin and fish.
    But it is fun to quilt so will continue to do so.

I don't see the problem either. I am short so always rolling my jeans and especially long sleeved tops. My husband always walks by and says "too bad you don't know anyone who sews" I just answer yes it is! LOL He actually cons my mom into doing most of his hemming and on some things he has sat down at the machine and done it himself.

Quote Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
    I'm with the others. Just too lazy to do my own but take the time to do others. Just wish I was a little taller then would not have to hem. To heck with shorter, I'm already 2" shorter that high school and several lbs heavier.
    Ba Hum Bug!
    Yup, I'm in this club, too, Carol! Re the pants: I'm with Skyangel: use some steam a seam & just get sewing on the important things---quilts!!

Blog Entries
    *** Quilter, sewist, etc. are just like the Electricians & Plumbers,
    *** we never take care of our selves.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    LOL Time to make shorts out of them ! :-)

Then ya can just roll em !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    Use that Serger! I buy blouses that are way too long now and mark a line on the bottom and away I go with the serger and wear them just like that.
    Where on earth do you find shirts that are too long? Mine are always too short. I am only 5'6.5" but all shirts stop just below my waist. I hate that! I want them at the hip line. (Send me the extra length? Lol!)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Attitude is everything!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

It's "shabby chic".....
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Blog Entries
    These are your yard work / painting pants That's my excuse. I always have to cut off 6-8 inches from pants. With jeans I just sew a double stay stitch to prevent to much fraying. I do the same when they get cut in to shorts. And I do not buy dress pants for the simple reason I'd have to hem them. I feel the same about buttons -it has to be something I really love or the waistband needs a button.

you are not alone mine to look like that and I work at a sewing store
    Last edited by mary quilting; 03-20-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    You mean that's not a style statement?

I try to buy my pants in petite or short length so I don't have to hem.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
    Got any steam-a-seam for applique? Instant hem, no sewing!
    That is what I have done for 40 years. Never liked hemming either !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Quilters don't mend and Picasso doesn't paint garages. That explains it.
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

When my aunt saw my quilting, she was impressed and couldn't stop exclaiming on how I "taught myself to sew". I tried to explain to her that I "quilt", I don't really "sew". She, of course, got a kick out of it. But it's true - I don't know how to hem pants or make or fix clothes, but give me some blocks and I'm all over that scant 1/4 inch seam!
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

If I'm forced to hem anything for myself, I opt for the Stitch Witchery (iron on hem fusible web). It works for me! Last summer my DH noticed that all his shorts were worn, torn and/or faded so he went out and bought I think 6 pairs when they were on sale. He's very picky about the length because if they hit the back of his knee a certain way they will mess up his golf swing. By the time I got the last pair hemmed (all by machine, of course) I was getting pretty proficient at it, but if it's for me, I'll still probably go for the Stitch Witchery. I have a lifetime supply of the stuff, some of it inherited from my mom in 1986, and luckily it keeps.

Edited to add that when I do hem pants, I have the person put them on inside out so that I can pin them to the outside. This makes it quite a bit simpler for me and they're less likely to get stuck with a pin. This does put the pant legs on the wrong leg, so if there's any possibility that the person's legs are not the same length, don't do it. This process easily illustrates why doing our own is a greater pain than doing someone else's. For mine, I'm forced to measure the inseam, pin and then try on before sewing, and might have to do that more than once because of the way different ones fit.

A lot of us quilters don't use free arm machines, and that's another reason not to hem pants.
    Last edited by Rose_P; 03-20-2014 at 06:12 PM.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

sap
    I would rather take a BEATTING than mend one inch of anything. That's why my pant legs look like yours.

As I always tell my husband, quilters don't mend!! When he needs a button replaced, he kisses his shirt good bye as he puts it in my sewing room! Haha!

I've really enjoyed the responses here. We have some very witty people on this list! Not to mention some husbands with a sense of humor.

I sewed only clothing from the time I was a kid (under Grandma's watchful eye) until I discovered quilting in 1991. Since then, I've done very little with clothing, less with mending, and not a week has gone by that I haven't quilted. I confess, I have two pairs of nice dress pants in my sewing room that I've never worn and guess why? Because they need to be hemmed! And I know how to hem!

Here's a funny story: As a quilter who seldom worked on clothes anymore, I once made a pair of tailored grey slacks with zipper, seam pockets, and pleats, and they fit perfectly. I was pleased with them and thought what a nice addition they would be to my wardrobe. I started to hem them, and I remember how confident I was that my measurement was correct. I did NOT measure twice and then cut once as I always did before I started to quilt. I just took that rotary cutter, put the ruler on them, and cut. Well, I didn't like the results at all but did hem and wear them -- my new pair of short cropped capri pants! LOL

Cricket

conversation at work led to "what are you doing the weekend?" in the operating room. the surgeon was flying down to florida. the circulating nurse was going to the cabin for the weekend. the assistant was going to a writer's workshop with his wife. the doc asked me what i was doing, and i replied, "i'm sewing curtains for my daughter's kitchen." and he stopped his work, he looked straight at me, and asked, "are you nuts? life is too short for sewing curtains." he finally stopped looking at me, and went back to work. it's four years later, and i still haven't sewn the curtains. life apparently IS too short...
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

Oh you all have just brightened my soul with all of your responses! Y'all are just hilarious!!! The chuckles have really done me good! :cD

Donna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast