View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Macybaby

My DH is suppose to be looking into whether we need a permit or not. So far we've only needed one for the Addition to the house. They didn't care about anything else, and we've basically rebuilt the rest of it - but we do live out near the middle of nowhere . . .

Each time we talk about it, the plan morphes a bit. Now DH is talking about using the lower "garage" level for his wood shop. My car is in the garage, so I don't worry about that, and if he'd rather have a nice wood shop than a place to park his car, that is fine with me.

Then we'll put it across the driveway from the house, with the upper level facing south and the garage facing north (driveway and house). It will have a gable on the garage side of the roof so I can see the house if needed, and lots of windows on the south.

And one of the best parts - since there is nothing to the south of this but a wide open hay field, it will be perfect to add a small lean-to type greenhouse on the back side. I've got a small greenhouse on the corner of one of the other buildings, but it's only good for starting plants in the winter, and this would be something of a more "year round" greenhouse.

So I'd have my office in a small room upstairs, the rest would be for my quilting frame and machine collection. The sewing room in the upper level of the house would stay, but it would have more room with the extra machines moved out. I'd get my dressing room back too LOL!!

DH is starting to get excited about the idea - since we agreed the lower level would be his to do what he wanted. If it was next to the house, I'd want to put my car there, but it won't be much closer than the shop is now, so my car can stay where it is.

For reference, it would go to the left of the shop, but along the driveway. we'd have to cut three small trees, but they are just some scruff redcedar we planted there. Was planning on doing that now as they are the only redcedar in that area and we also have apple trees not too far away. We use to have a lot of redcedar across the road, but they are all gone so once these are gone, hopefully we'll have an end to the apple rust problem.

This was taken several years ago, before we had the barn burned and buried.