Thread: Singer 301??
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 07:00 PM
QuiltDreamin

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
I have a 301 and a 301A (longer bed). I have a walking foot for each of them for the quilting part of creating the quilt. I love them. The quilt I posted on the pictures this week was completely done on the 301A, pieced, machine quilted and binding sewed on. I hand sew the binding for the last part and do some hand quilting on areas of the quilt. But for the most part, done on "Ivory". My black 301 "Ebony" has a shorter bed but I have quilted at least 5 quilts on her. They are all regular or queen size quilts. I bought her on ebay for $120.00 and the date on her was 1952. But I sure wouldn't get ride of my 221 Featherweight, she does a great job on quilt piecing and smaller quilts. Hope this helps. Also, Sew Classic has great walking feet for our older sewing machines and she is very reasonable also.
Do you find any problem with the short bed on the 301 vs the long bed????..is there really THAT much difference with quilting/piecing on the short one?
I just think if I LOVE my 301(If i win the bidding) I would use it for everything where the FW limits me a bit..but who knows, hubby is fine with me having them both(PLUS my Brother Quattro for Mach Emb)..
Is that quilt(lovely!) done in the Lovers Knot pattern? Bought El Burns Quilt in A Day of that pattern..
thanx for your reply..