Thread: Pattern sharing
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 05:16 PM
stillclock

huh. i don't ever buy patterns. i learned to draft blocks and design quilts in my learn-to-quilt class. i love traditional quilts and those designs are solidly in the public domain. i recently made a "swoon" block quilt but in looking at them over the course of months i came to realize "swoon" blocks are simplified, modernized and copyrighted evolutions of a more complex block called the dutch rose. i balk at the number of people trying to make money by selling patterns that are no more than modifications of trad designs. that never sits right with me and i don't consider it stealing to use bits and pieces or even whole parts of designs i see.

i can't speak to the whys and wherefores of this woman's requests. i don't collect quilting books or patterns or anything anyone would be particularly interested in. i wouldn't loan out my fons and porter book because i still use it a lot.

i am surprised by how hard we hold on to every little thing. it's the way of this world, but it's so incredibly cold.

ailene