Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern sharing >

Pattern sharing

Pattern sharing

Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 AM

A friend of mine asked me send her copy of a machine embroidery design that I had purchased online. Uh....NO! I am not going to violate copyright laws and I told her so. She understood. She can afford to purchase her own patterns and designs.

And, ladies, do not be naive in thinking that violating copyright laws is "ok". It is not.

sandy
Old 03-25-2014, 05:19 AM

Scratchie said:
Quilts are utilitarian items, and outside of a patented technique, I don't think copyrights, even when registered, are going to be enforceable, because unless it's a truly unique design (and truthfully, how many truly unique designs are there these days that wouldn't be considered public domain?), it's not subject to copyright protection.
So true...

Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
stillclock a great answer you are so right most of these copyrighted quilt patterns are copied from someplace else I know One Block Wonder was a copy of Stack and Whack also Twister was a copy of an earlier book called Square Dance and have seen many more copies just the day we live in Greed and money I am thankful to be in a fun sharing group gues if they have nothing better to do they can arrest me
I agree also. I have some older mags (early 90s) and some of the stuff that is on modern quilt blogs is in these magazines and the people (sometimes even marketing the patterns as if it is theirs) act like they thought it up.

And let's say that I'm sitting at my computer, using my EQ6 (don't have 7) and I come up with the exact same design that someone else has "copyrighted". I decide to sell a finished quilt using my design. I have no idea that anyone else has even designed it, much less is going to get upset that somehow I've infringed. I don't even know that other person who thinks I'm 'stealing' their idea! It can seem crazy to some of us!

There are a few people, who actually do have unique designs or signature styles, but most squares, HST and rectangle blocks are put together pretty much in a similar way. I can claim that I made it up, but it may or may not be true. I've seen a lot in my older quilting books that looks suspiciously familiar, also when I look at some 'modern' blogs. It is disconcerting that so many think they are actually being "new" when they aren't. If they were actually creating something new, then I could understand the concern with artist's rights, etc. But frankly, most people aren't creating new--they are just putting newer colors and different blocks together--not actually creating NEW ideas/blocks or designs.