View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 07:08 AM
FroggyinTexas

Default Read the labels on the end of the bolt

I have bought many yards of fabric from Wal Mart over the years and have had no more problems with that fabric than with fabric bought at quilt shops. Last weekend someone on the board posted the picture of a Dresden plate made with bandana prints and when I saw five different bandana prints at Wal Mart, I bought enough to make a project similar to the one I had seen on the board. The fabric was with the regular fabric, not in the bargain bin where I have bought fabric to cover bulletin boards in teachers' classrooms, so I took it for granted that it was regular fabric and failed to read the label.

I spent yesterday cutting and sewing enough blades for four Dresden plates, 80 blades in all. When I had them turned and started pressing them, the fabric got sticky, especially the yellow print, which came very close to melting. It got hard, the way nylon rope does when you put a match to it to seal the ends.

What I thought and said is not fit for a family publication. I went to Wal Mart and pulled the bolts to read the labels, which said, "Made in India from undisclosed fiber content."

Mea culpa, caveat emptor and other reminders to read the label. I am taking the fabric back to Wal Mart, including the blades as soon as the sprinkler repairman finishes his work. I don't really expect to get my money back, but wanted to remind everyone to read the label no matter where you buy your fabric. froggyintexas

Last edited by FroggyinTexas; 03-26-2014 at 07:10 AM.