Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Read the labels on the end of the bolt >

Read the labels on the end of the bolt

Read the labels on the end of the bolt

Old 03-28-2014, 06:30 PM

What I said is HL cotton is 100 percent cotton. I wasn't referring to gingham because I thought most people know that gingham has the same fiber content as broadccloth. I stand corrected. I'm sorry you misunderstood me. Enough on the subject.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:38 PM

Been there too. But bought white for lattice-- I always wash my fabric....Glad I did--the fabric swiveled up and it could not be ironed out.......All wavy. So I am real careful and I do tear the tags off to see what's under it.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:01 PM

Not wanting to make another trip to Tulsa that week, I went to our Walmart and found THE perfect "small-flowered beige" fabric but it felt strange for 100% cotton... held it up to the light and I could "read" through it. Very disappointing, was just painted on. We just need to be careful consumers.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:20 PM

Sometimes a sale sticker will cover up the end of the bolt and I have peeled that back to see the info I need. Sorry you had this problem and I am glad you are taking it back.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jerseyrayne View Post
I agree, you have to read the labels, no matter where you buy your fabrics. I was a Department manager for the Fabrics and Crafts Dept. at Wal Mart for almost 10 years, and was told I had the best dept. on the East Coast. I was the only one I know of that could order fabric other than what was company ordered. That is a myth about Wal Mart's fabrics being 2nds, Fabric companys do not use the copyrighted prints on different qualities of fabric. Their main fabric modular is lst quality, but they do order the other cuts for the sale bins. The other problem about the fabrics being mixed on the shelves is not always the fault of the employees, if a customer decided not to buy a fabric, they would put the bolt anywhere. I am retired now, and I am sorry if this is so long, but I sometimes take it personal, because I was so proud of my dept. I am sorry you had that problem, and actually you are lucky they gave you a credit, because they didn't have to do that. Always check the bolts no matter where you buy. Good Luck and Have a better day.
Thank you for saying what I have been thinking for years.....Walmart fabrics are not all junk. My Walmart dept manager orders lots of great fabrics, including my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes fabric. Yes, there are sale bins with bolts of "undetermined content", but you can find that anywhere. Yes, some of their fabrics are junk, but you can also find junk at LQS. It is entirely up to you, the consumer, to find the best deals and quality. Don't blame Walmart for misplaced bolts of fabric....blame your fellow shoppers who change their minds and drop things anywhere instead of replacing them where they picked them up.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:11 AM

I peel price stickers back when i cant read the bolt.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:59 AM

I have to reply to the comment made that HL sells seconds. You know this because you worked in the fabric dept? Who told you this? Do you know the buying process and the ordering process? I think not. HL has buyers. Oh well, I know what I'm talking about and I'm really sick of people making untruthful comments about a Christian company which starts their full time employees at twice the minimum wage and gives half their money to charity. Your comment
Is merely an assumption.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 AM

Our local Walmart in Chehalis tries to give good customer service but the fabric department is almost an afterthought. The fabric department and another department are lumped together for the employees working in them but the other department gets most of the attention and is in another part of the store. That means the fabric section is under-staffed. You're lucky if someone is there. You can count on at least a 5 minute wait if you need to page someone to cut fabric.

I still buy some odds and ends from the fabric department but I've kind of given up on Walmart for fabric just because so much of what ours sells is a cotton/poly blend. I do agree- Always check the end of the bolt.

We do have a couple good LQS's either here in Centralia or next door in Chehalis but I'm on a fixed income and really can't spend $10 and up a yard on a regular basis. Joann's is about 30 miles from me and Hancock's is closer to 60 so I don't get in them as often as I would like either and realistically the prices are similar unless you're shopping a good sale. I prefer to see fabrics in person so I can see the true color instead of relying on my computer monitor but I'll probably start buying more fabric online.
Rodney