Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Read the labels on the end of the bolt >

Read the labels on the end of the bolt

Read the labels on the end of the bolt

Old 03-27-2014, 08:57 AM

Our store here has a lot of pretty fabrics. It's a good thing I always check the ends because most of it is from Mexico and it says Contents Unknown Well now that stumped me. How could they not know what the contents are?? Oh and this strange fabric is creeping into JoAnne's as well. So no matter where you shop for fabric ALWAYS read the labels.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the warning and for sharing your experience - I am really bad about not reading labels but will strive to be more diligent in the future!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Dix

Well said! I bought a small piece at Hobby Lobby because it was a color I needed for a small quilt. When I got home and started to use it, the piece felt thin and stiff. It was RJR, but when I went back one day, I checked the bolt and it said RJR (made for Hobby Lobby) which told me it was a second or cheaper made bolt. I have seen this also on the bolts at Walmart. Just be careful when shopping. Hobby Lobby does have some great fabric, but it is in the quilting section!

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I also look at who is the maker of the fabric. Wal-Mart buys a lot of 2nd quality fabrics which are NOT 1st LQS fabric. But I noticed that even Wal-Mart's prices are going up !!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

So sorry you had such a bad experience, however, it's a good reminder to us all to always read the labels on the end of the bolt no matter where you purchase your fabric.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Wow, a Walmart manager that actually listened and gave you a store credit!! I have found a few bolts of 100% cotton on my LQS shelf that say "dry clean" WHAT? Who dry cleans cotton? I looked it see if it had any fancy metallic or something but it looked like regular fabric to me.
I think in the end you were treated more than fairly. It isn't really their responsibility to make sure you iron the fabric at the right temp. So, this should be a kudos to that manager who listened and responded kindly.

I've seen clothes that say "dry clean only" but they don't really need it. I don't know why 100% cotton needs to be dry cleaned either, unless they are afraid of colors running and figure they can save themselves and their customers grief by telling them to dry clean it.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:18 PM

Thanks for some very good advice. I always try to read on the bolt but sometimes I am in a hurry and neglect to read. Will try to do better.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:33 PM

I am blessed to be a part of Hobby Lobby. I don't mean to be argumentative, but the truth is that all the cotton I order is 100 percent cotton. HL gets send out fabric. When it's gone, it's gone. This is seasonal fabric. I have never seen a bolt of orderable cotton come in labeled unknown fiber content. And I do not make remnants based on fiber content. There are company procedures and policy I must follow as to when a fabric can be a remnant and nowhere is fiber content listed as a reason to remnant a fabric. At least this is how it is in my store location.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

That is a lot of work to go through for such a disappointing result. I hope you do get some sort of satisfaction, even if it's a certificate to get something else.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:15 PM

Wal-Mart will probably give you your money back.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:35 PM

I recently did the same thing at JoAnn's - searched and searched for a "peach" colored fabric....and was so happy when i found it that i didn't read the label.....i was making a Dresden table topper, place mats, hot pads and pot holders for my Aunt...her kitchen is "peach".....when pressing the fabric acted "funny" so i did the match test.....and sure enough - it didn't burn, it melted....POLY !!!! Well...couldn't use that for the hot pads or pot holders...and had already made the topper and place mats. Won't be forgetting to check the content again any time soon !!!