Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Read the labels on the end of the bolt >

Read the labels on the end of the bolt

Read the labels on the end of the bolt

Old 03-26-2014, 05:50 PM

I know the 'fabric feel' she's talking about. It feels like pretty good cotton so the stockers put it in with the cottons (yeah. I worked there for too many years). I learned to read the bolts a long time ago. Watch the solids.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 PM

Walmart lost my business on this a long time ago. However, I will keep this in mind.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:17 AM
Administrator

it's a good practice to check the information at the end of the bolt no matter where you shop for fabrics.

this will be especially so if you shop in stores that carry both quilting and garment fabrics. those fabrics will usually start out displayed in separate sections, but they could wind up mixed together once they hit a sale table. check the bolt ends on any sale table to ensure you are getting the fabric/content type you want. [there's nothing wrong with using non-cotton fabrics in a quilt as long as you know that's what your working with so you can take any special care required. just check the bolt ends to ensure they all have the same laundering/drying instructions; and make sure to pre-wash all of it.]

buying solids or blenders? will you need enough to finish one bolt and cut into another? will you need more than one bolt's worth? check the bolt ends to make sure you are getting the same manufacturer, color number/code, and - whenever possible - the same die lot/print run.

no information on the selvages? check the bolt ends so you can make note of the manufacturer, design line, color/print code, and any other information you might need in case you find you must search for more of it.

etc, etc, etc.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:02 AM

I find that I have to watch the bolt ends like a hawk at JoAnn's because more than once I have taken a bolt from a section that said that it was % off only to find that not all the fabrics in that section were on sale. When I have found out at the cutting counter their response to me is that I should have read the end of the bolt and compared it with the sign to see what was on sale. One of the reasons I don't like shopping at JoAnn's is they mix sale fabric and non-sale fabric in the same display and expect the customer to be savvy enough to know the difference.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

the end of bolts contain a wealth of information that should be checked- not just the price- it is a good practice to always read all of the content on the end of the bolt- along with price, fabric width, fiber content, place of origin- care instructions- it is all there if you just take the moment to read it. sorry this happened to you- but a good lesson for everyone.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:19 AM

I try to always read the end of the bolt but get so frustrated when the store puts tags over the information. Some times I just want to rip them off so I can get the information.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 AM

My question is about the bandana fabric- did this happen because the iron was too hot(cotton setting) or do you think anything hot enough to press out wrinkles would have the same result? This will probably determine whether you can get money back- most Walmarts will at least give store credit I think, hope so anyway. Hope you can find the fabric you need for your project-you should easily find some online. Sorry this happened!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:44 AM

To be the best consumers we need to get all of the information possible. There is a wealth of information on fabric bolt ends. In addition to this information we need to learn about store buyers and store practices regarding how they purchase their stock. Knowing, for instance, that sometimes designers sell their designs to a corporation that will print it on more than one quality of greige goods. There are big differences in the quality and if that is important to you it is your responsibility to know the signs of quality in the fabric you are looking for. A consumer who is well informed is a good consumer.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:10 AM

A few years back I bought several yards of fabric at Hancock Fabrics that had 100% Cotton on the end of the bolt. When I finally got it out to use it, it was a blend and not all cotton. Apparently, they use the empty cardboard and put new fabric on it.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by scrapinmema View Post
I try to always read the end of the bolt but get so frustrated when the store puts tags over the information. Some times I just want to rip them off so I can get the information.
I totally agree I always read the end of the bolt, not only for fabric content, but for washing instructions. I too just want to rip the tags off. When the tags cover some of the information, I keep checking other bolts of the same type fabric. Not just at Walmart but wherever I am shopping for fabrics. It usually does no good to ask the clerk, as many of the clerks do not sew and have no clue, many also have no clue when it comes to cutting fabric either. I have bought a lot of fabric from Walmart over the years, and found that the fabric they carry on a regular basis is pretty good-except for the "Spring" brand - I had problems with that.
I don't purchase what is on the sale and clearance tables.
I do the same when purchasing clothes.