Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Read the labels on the end of the bolt >

Read the labels on the end of the bolt

Read the labels on the end of the bolt

Old 03-28-2014, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I think in the end you were treated more than fairly. It isn't really their responsibility to make sure you iron the fabric at the right temp. So, this should be a kudos to that manager who listened and responded kindly.

I've seen clothes that say "dry clean only" but they don't really need it. I don't know why 100% cotton needs to be dry cleaned either, unless they are afraid of colors running and figure they can save themselves and their customers grief by telling them to dry clean it.
FYI: Most people don't understand what dry cleaning means. Your fabric/clothing doesn't stay dry. It gets wet with liquid chemicals, then tumbled in a dryer and pressed with steam, most likely. Water isn't used, for the cleaning process, but they do get wet.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:07 AM

Reading the label is a good idea no matter where you buy it.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:36 AM

I agree, you have to read the labels, no matter where you buy your fabrics. I was a Department manager for the Fabrics and Crafts Dept. at Wal Mart for almost 10 years, and was told I had the best dept. on the East Coast. I was the only one I know of that could order fabric other than what was company ordered. That is a myth about Wal Mart's fabrics being 2nds, Fabric companys do not use the copyrighted prints on different qualities of fabric. Their main fabric modular is lst quality, but they do order the other cuts for the sale bins. The other problem about the fabrics being mixed on the shelves is not always the fault of the employees, if a customer decided not to buy a fabric, they would put the bolt anywhere. I am retired now, and I am sorry if this is so long, but I sometimes take it personal, because I was so proud of my dept. I am sorry you had that problem, and actually you are lucky they gave you a credit, because they didn't have to do that. Always check the bolts no matter where you buy. Good Luck and Have a better day.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:44 AM

I've found that on many of the bolts the price tag is placed right over the spot where the fiber content is listed. Makes it a bit difficult to tell.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:30 AM

People shop Walmart because the prices are low and affordable. And meanwhile, if you don't exercise diligence you could get garbage. I don't shop Walmart for many reasons, junk is part of it. So...in the case of fabric and pricing, why don't you go to either Hancocks-Paducah or Fabric.com and purchase the sale fabric? it's gorgeous quality, dependable and runs about $5-7 dollars a yard depending on how long the item has been in inventory.
And there really is no excuse about being "afraid" to shop online. The entire world is moving away from you, if you have failed to keep up with technology. In that case, you get to read the labels at Walmart and Joann's and hope you can pick a small piece of quality out of the garbage.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:52 AM

I learned the hard way to read the ends of the bolts---ESPECIALLY at Walmart!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by MySharona View Post
I don't believe you have to worry about Hobby Lobby fabric. All their cotton fabric is 100 percent cotton. Some are not as good, but that's very few.
I was interested in the gingham checks that HL carries. It was NOT all cotton but a blend of polyester and cotton. Still need to read the ends of the bolts.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:12 AM

Wow what a drag!! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. Another life lesson!
Old 03-28-2014, 03:44 PM

That's good to know. Thanks for posting. I sometimes read the labels for washing directions and fabric content but have never thought to see where it came from! Now I will!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
Thanks for the tip and I am sorry about what happened to you. It is a good idea to read the bolts for sure. I have been reading them hoping to find American made fabrics.

Good luck finding American made fabrics - they are few and far between.