View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 07:35 AM
Cybrarian

Default Pressing seams one direction or open?

Lately, on some Quilt shows I have seen where someone has presented the idea of a shorter stitch length and pressing seams open instead of one direction. On a bed runner I am currently making I have pressed the seams open in the disappearing nine patch area and pressed the seams in one direction on the solid color borders. The seams on the pieced borders are pressed open where the individual pieces join. The standard stitch on my Elna is a 3.2 stitch length. On the bed runner I have set my stitch length to 2.0. I have had to unsew some of the seams on the pieced borders to adjust the length. I have not had any problem unsewing them. The test will be when I free motion quilt this. I also have a string pieced quilt I am free motion quilting with the seams pressed in the traditional way. This way I feel I can make a good comparison as to whether the flatter seams make a difference. Just wondering if anyone else is experimenting with this. If so, have you found it easier to free motion quilt with the seams pressed this way? The pieces that look yellow are really a lime green :-)
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg