Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing seams one direction or open? >

Pressing seams one direction or open?

Pressing seams one direction or open?

Old 03-30-2014, 04:07 AM

I press a lot of mine open. I like how the seams line up and also the flatter seams. It really does not take that more more time and the results are worth it.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:34 AM

I usually press to the side when constructing blocks unless there is a specific reason to press a few of them open as per instructions. When I am ready to quilt on my DSM I stabilize the whole piece by stitching in the ditch lengthwise and widthwise between each block. Then I go back and quilt each square or row when it is stable. I don't quite understand how you would do this stabilization if the seams are pressed open. I have never had trouble quilting the piece.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:46 AM

Clover has a little triangular head iron that makes it really easy to press open seams
Old 03-30-2014, 07:16 AM

For me it depends on the pattern and the project. I just finished a block for a swap and pressed the seams to the side so that they would all nest at the intersection of the star. Looking back I think that if I had pressed the seams open it would have allowed the fabric to lay flatter. The pattern I'm doing now is one where I'm pressing the seams all to the darker fabric and it is working out very nicely. I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on the project and the pattern. Your top is beautiful and given the pattern I would have pressed the seams to the side. When I FMQ I've had no problem with either way on the seams. The colors you have in your quilt are terrific, it is going to be a real beauty after you've quilted it. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and your fantastic work.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:48 AM

I press in the way that makes my seams work the best. Open, to the side, part open, part to the side. Sometimes when I have a whole bunch of seams together (kaleidoscope blocks, etc), if my seams are puckering a bit, I turn my block over to the right side, wet it good and pressssss. If that works, I don't care which direction the seams ended up.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:58 AM

Pressing seams open does take a long time; it can be maddening. I pressed all my seams to the side when I first began quilting because I'd read it was the right thing to do. Then "pressing seams open" came along. I admit, that as a long time garment sewer, I'm inclined to press seams open; it somehow just feels right. But I also admit that in quilt making I mix it up -- sometimes I press to the side, sometimes open. Depends on the block....and my mood and patience, I expect!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:06 AM

For me it depends on the seam. If I am sewing 2 squares together, I press to the side. But when I put them together in a 4-patch, the final seam is pressed open, to get a flatter seam. Been doing it that way for a long time.