Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing seams one direction or open? >

Pressing seams one direction or open?

Pressing seams one direction or open?

Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 AM

I love pressing open because everything lies flatter and it's easier for me to match up seams. When I press to one side I have trouble with getting an extra tiny fold that makes things come out slightly undersized. I also never really got the hang of the nesting thing and couldn't get my seams to match up that way. Lastly, when pressing to the side I would inevitably end up having to match up at least a few that were pressed in the same direction, for whatever reason (poor planning on my part, etc). Anyway, I finally decided to just shorten my stitch length and press open. The final result for me was well worth the extra time.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

For me, it depends on the pattern and how I plan to quilt it. The more seams come together, the more likely I am to press open. If I want to ditch-quilt I press to the side.
Leah Day presses all of her seams open.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM

I press open for something with a lot of seams - like a pinwheel. But for a nine or four patch, I tend to press to one side. I do believe that it can be easier to quilt on the DSM when seams are open but it takes forever to press them all that way.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:46 PM

I learned about a neat gadget call the Strip Stick www.thestripstick.com when I took a class at Houston last year on precision piecing...for times when pressing seams open it is very helpful, making it much easier and faster(and fewer burned fingers!)
Old 03-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

When sewing long seams, the open pressing takes forever. I press seams to one side, I try to just quilt around the intersections and not through them.
I think it is always best to do whatever works for you. Every one has their opinions.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:23 PM

Generally, I think it is a matter of personal preference. I like to press to the side. When I have repaired older quilts, it is easier to repair with the little bit of fabric underneath a popped seam. The only time I consistently press open is on the backing when I have to piece it, I use a one inch seam allowance, then cut off the selvedges and press open.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:02 PM

Isn't it wonderful that we can try each way and then use what works best for us. Guess that is why I like quilting -- there isn't a right way or a wrong way.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:21 PM

I was told by a veteran long arm quilter that it can cause the seam thread to break if you are doing custom work and stitching in the ditch. Has anyone else experienced this? I am also a long arm quilter but the only quilts I have done with pressed open seams were edge to edge patterns. May have to do a test patch when I get time.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

I would get so confused about pressing seams open so I just pressed to the dark side. Once in a while I would press open by accident. Then you go back and check the instructions. that calls for frustration. Oh well!
Old 03-30-2014, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I have been pressing seems open for decades. I like the flatter seams. I have never had any issues with quilts wearing out at the seams , or any of the issues that people who press to the dark claim I will have by pressing open. I make quilt blocks that have lots of seams and it just makes a flatter block. It also makes it easier to quilt on my machine ... no areas of multiple seams all facing the same way, creating a thickness that's can be tough to go thru.
It does take a bit longer to press open... but I like it.
Go with what you like and what works for you.
totally agree