Old 03-30-2014, 09:15 AM
cathyvv

I don't have either of the ironing covers you mention, but did make my own ironing station about 6 months ago.

I took 2 nightstands from one of my bedrooms. They're never used and, since I bought them used, there's no stress with regard to keeping them in perfect shape. They stand about 24" apart, so there is room to put a chair between them. (I have to sit when I am ironing as the knees protest when I stand too long.)

I like a flat ironing surface, no ridges, so DH bought me a 16" wide piece of laminated shelving. It's about 5 feet long.

I covered the piece of shelving with a couple of old towels as the 'batting'. I purchased a nice 100% cotton out door canvas-like fabric from the selection at WM, and used that to cover the batting and board. It's in colors that match up with my house and is always available to me in our living room. If it gets scorched or whatever, which is inevitable, it's both easy and cheap to replace. When the cover has to be replaced, I will probably use several layers of batting, at least one of them insulbright, to replace the towels as batting.

I think you could do a similar thing for your table. You would probably want to sew the batting and the top together and then hem at the edges to eliminate problems like bunching and folding and so on. Then I'd put some strips of elastic on the corners (like they used to do on sheets and mattress protectors) to slip over the corners of your cutting table and hold the ironing cover in place.