View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 AM
TeresaA

I use all threads, from metallic to 100% cotton to trilobal polyester to serger thread, whatever happens to help me achieve the results I need. Yes, you do have to adjust tension for each, but I would never limit myself for that reason. I would just learn to adjust my tension and keep a test sample close at hand for making adjustments! (You can free motion with a test sample by driving the fabric sandwich under the quilter, just as you would on a domestic sewing machine.) Also, it helps to have more than one bobbin case....one for light weight threads, one for heavy weight threads, all pre-set for your needs. Mark them with fingernail polish.

It is also CRITICAL that you use needles that matches your thread. Don't take this lightly or else you'll have "tension" problems....which are actually thread breakage at the needle because the needle eye isn't large enough to feed the thread consistently with high speed use. I've heard people say, "why should I change my needle for this thread?" which is a little like, "why should I change my clothes for swimming?". Because it's how you use thread, it's part of using the right tool for the job of quilting. You wouldn't use a doll needle for hand quilting, you wouldn't use a small hole needle for longarm quilting with cotton thread, etc.

My favorite thread sources (no affil with any of them, just a happy customer):

Glide/Fil-Tec: From now until Sunday, they're having a 10% off sale on Glide, plus free shipping on any order that includes Glide. You have to meet a $35 minimum, but the free shipping is a huge discount, given that you can get yourself a sample of the thread via meeting the minimum and you don't have to pay their customary $10 for shipping that $35 minimum. Their web site color representations aren't the best at all, so if you place an order, order a color card too. The color cards are made of real thread.

Here's their Facebook article on this sale: https://www.facebook.com/bobbincentr...type=1&theater

For quilting use, I've ordered mostly their "gold's" and "silvers". Bone, Cool Grey3, linen, Warm Grey4 Pearl, Mocha, Vegas Gold, Cleopatra, Khaki were all on my order yesterday, plus a few reds, greens and yellows for specialty use. I ordered 1000 yard cones of each. For some quilts this may not be enough thread, but oh my gosh, it means that I have to change colors in the middle of the quilt and add more interest! What an opportunity for creativity.

Anyway, next up. I love Signature thread. A great source for it is Heartbeat Quilting in Spokane. http://www.heartbeatquilting.com/. I'm not sure that they have all of the line, but they have most of it. Their price is absolutely the best I've seen on Signature thread, but if you use them, call and get the true shipping price, because their web site under-represents this. Their customer service is very good.

I've also ordered Signature thread from Wawak.com, another org with great customer service. They have a limited selection of Signature, but will meet Heartbeat's price on it. And their shipping is lower, and free if you can find $100 worth of sewing accessories to buy. I see that they now carry a ton of Sulky rayon. I have not heard good things about using rayon in quilts, but I hear horror stories about many threads, so maybe it works fine.

I have never tried "Superior" thread. To my way of thinking, it is overpriced. It seems pretty similar to the other threads, but with boutique packaging. If Bob wants to change my mind, he can PM me privately and send me a sample . Trust me, once it's in a quilt nobody will be able to tell which cotton or poly thread you used, and sometimes won't even be able to tell if you used cotton or poly.

I've also used 20 year old Mettler 40/3 100% cotton. It's beautiful and didn't break even with the "curse" of old thread. And Sulky metallic is fine, although make sure you have a nice big, sharp needle. I've used Coat's and Star thread and had breakage problems, but this was before I understood the importance of the right needles for the job, so they may work well too.

Lots of people talk about "linty" threads, but I've found that the best way to avoid lint is to avoid BATTING! No matter what thread you use, you're going to get significant lint from batting. I was using ecru thread the other day and my lint was brilliant PURPLE. That was obviously from the fabric, not the thread. So don't worry about "lint," worry about getting thread you can afford and enjoy using. And learn to clean your bobbin area.

Variegated threads can be tough, because invariably, the bottom thread won't match the top from stitch to stitch so you'll get "polka dotted" stitches. I would probably limit them to fill areas, and then match the bottom thread with the area I'm filling....unless you want the "polka dotted" stitches as an artistic element of your quilt, in which case it's AWESOME.

Anyway, generally for colors, I'd think of projects you have in mind and match those. Otherwise, start with some nice neutrals, or golds and silver mimics like I mentioned. The gold will blend well with ecru backgrounds, the silvers with white. Colors, you'll want to be slightly darker than the color you're quilting, unless you want the stitch to stand out.

That's my brain on paper. PM me if you have questions about what I've said.

Last edited by TeresaA; 04-04-2014 at 11:05 AM.