Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Cogito

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
An easy-out should be available from a relatively well stocked hardware store. It is kind of like a coarse thread tap, but backwards threads. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1-S...SE06/202972059
it may be too big for the hole in the oil bushing. Another possibility is finding a tap that will fit in the hole, turn it in by a wrench, it will thread the hole, then you can use that size screw in the threads to jack the bushing back out of the hole.
I don't have a 66 where I can get to it, and 99's don't have the same kind of insert bushing. I think you might try an 8-32 tap to see if it might start in it. keep it straight up vertical, put a little oil on it to help it cut. thread it in about 1/2 to 3/4 turn, back out about a 1/8 - 1/4 turn, then back in repeating. you may not be able to go very far, unless you can find a bottoming tap, one that doesn't have a lead in that doesn't cut much to help it start. But if you don't have one, once it stops turning, remove it and grind off about 1/4" and take it a little deeper. After the hole is tapped, inserting a number 8-32 machine screw should push it up.
Sorry for a long winded passage here. Maybe Steve H has another way.
jim, I will try this if the other, less invasive attempts aren't successful. Thanks for such great detailed information! Even if I don't need to do this, I am glad to know the process. I need​ long winded for this slow, old brain. Lol!