Old 04-10-2014, 03:28 PM
DeneK

Default Help with diamond block pieced like log cabin

I have a bunch of these done but they are not the right size/shape. The strips for each round were cut from templates, but by the end of the block they are not correct in size or shape. The directions say that the final diamond should be around 7 5/8 wide and 17 3/4 long.

Since they were not right, I took 3 of them apart and tried very carefully to put them together again. I cut out each section of the template and glued them together and used that as template to check my progress. Was pretty good until near the end.

There must be a better way to check each round to be sure it is the correct size and shape. I am assuming each round should always be at 45 degrees. When I glue the paper pieces together, even they get wonky so I am wondering if the template itself is causing (at least part) of the problem.

Today I re-cut the A and B templates, glued them together and checked for accurate 45 degree. And it is indeed just a little bit off.

Here are the pictures -- Whole block (which is wrong) -- The incomplete block fit the template pretty well until the last blue addition and then it doesn't (the blue is almost 1/4" too wide. Also I am showing my paper template with the next row after the blue and you can see it doesn't match.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails 0409141815a.jpg