Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with diamond block pieced like log cabin >

Help with diamond block pieced like log cabin

Help with diamond block pieced like log cabin

Old 04-10-2014, 03:28 PM

Default Help with diamond block pieced like log cabin

I have a bunch of these done but they are not the right size/shape. The strips for each round were cut from templates, but by the end of the block they are not correct in size or shape. The directions say that the final diamond should be around 7 5/8 wide and 17 3/4 long.

Since they were not right, I took 3 of them apart and tried very carefully to put them together again. I cut out each section of the template and glued them together and used that as template to check my progress. Was pretty good until near the end.

There must be a better way to check each round to be sure it is the correct size and shape. I am assuming each round should always be at 45 degrees. When I glue the paper pieces together, even they get wonky so I am wondering if the template itself is causing (at least part) of the problem.

Today I re-cut the A and B templates, glued them together and checked for accurate 45 degree. And it is indeed just a little bit off.

Here are the pictures -- Whole block (which is wrong) -- The incomplete block fit the template pretty well until the last blue addition and then it doesn't (the blue is almost 1/4" too wide. Also I am showing my paper template with the next row after the blue and you can see it doesn't match.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails 0409141815a.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 04:23 PM

Are you taking into account the 1/4" seam allowance needed to attach the blocks? It seems to me that your last round (blue) would be 1/4" wider...this allows the blocks to be sewn to each other using a 1/4" seam allowance. Hope this is clear. Maybe someone else can help explain it better.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:53 PM

I was going to say the same thing as ILoveToQuilt....you have to consider the seam allowance that is in the last "round". I have made this pattern - but as a paper pieced diamond....so it's almost impossible to get that wrong if you stay on the lines.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 PM

It isn't paper pieced. Wish it were. Each separate row is cut from a template. The paper template that I glued together includes the 1/4" for seam and my piece is almost 1/4" larger than that. I suspect that the templates are slightly off and hoped that I could use some mathematical method of checking each row and trimming if necessary. I was hoping that checking the 45 degree angle would help, but as the rows are of different widths, I don't know how to check for that.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:53 AM

This may sound stupid but are your seams accurate 1/4"? there are so many seams in the block that being off even a thread or two will make block bigger. Are you using the scant 1/4" idea and have you tested your seams for 1/4" accuracy?
Old 04-12-2014, 01:35 PM

I am sure that my seams are a part of the problem so as I put together the incomplete one, I was exceedingly careful. The more I learn about diamonds (and boy, have I read a lot in the past 2 weeks), I believe that the 45 degree angles are just slightly off in some of my sewing and I even think there are some errors in the pattern itself. Between the 2 issues, it is very hard to set them in the way they should. As you can see from the glued together pattern portion above, two of the last two seams do not come together as they should.

I took the piece to my quilt club meeting today and while everyone could see my problem, they were very encouraging to just finesse it together and let the quilting help obscure the problem. They didn't think it was as bad as I did. I do have 24 of those bad boys sewn. Not sure I have the heart (or time) to rip them all. Especially seeing that the ones I ripped did not go together that much better. I have agonized over this for the last 2 weeks and I need to move on from being mired in self flagellation.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:39 AM

Just wanted to tell you that your colors are very pretty and encourage you to keep going. Are you using Dunster's pattern? She was so helpful to me when I did her pattern.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 AM

No, not Dunster. This is a Dereck Lockwood pattern. I am doing this for a friend in return for her doing some LA work for me. That is one reason I am fretting so about it. In the end it is going to her and I don't want to be ashamed of it. This was a kit she bought from Keepsake Quilting and then was too intimidated to try it. Stupid me said sure, I'll do it.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 AM

I'm experiencing the same issues with the diamon log cabin block- I have done 32 of them and the angles are not coming out right- I've checked my 1/4 distance from my needle, purchased two different 1/4 inch feet and still have issues- I'm strip piecing so I wonder if I'm cutting the angles to separate the pieces wrong but don't see another way to do it- Am I better off going block by block and not string piecing- Whats the best way to check the angles of the diamond?
Old 05-16-2017, 04:00 PM

Pamela Faye. I found my problem was not with the cutting or sewing but the ironing. Carefully use the tip of the iron to press the seam. That way you will not be stretching the log.