View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 AM
oldtnquiltinglady

My solution to this problem was to ask the DH for a separate building. We had lived in this old farmhouse through several renovations to make it livable for someone who had become accustomed to the suburban way of life offered through base housing in about a dozen Air Force Bases. When we relocated to TN from NC, we pretty much knew what we wanted in our permanent home; but didn't realize what was involved into bringing a 1900's house up to those expectations. I am, and always have been, a sewing/quilting person. He was an administrative type paper work person, with very few skills in the building/remodeling phases that one runs into when such as this is entered into. He had the money, and I had the dream.

Quickly, we found out the disadvantages of living and remodeling in the same space.....I had sewing machines everywhere, in every corner of every room in this house. Sawdust, lumber, mildew, dust, dirt, you name it, we dealt with it--sometimes not too graciously. We soon knew that this house was not going to hold living and sewing enough for us--so we started looking for another option--and the most viable one turned out to be either a used mobile home or a newly constructed outbuilding. And after countless trips 50-100 miles round-trip, someone told us to go see the Mennonites (spell?) in Clark Range--the magic solution. We had them build a 14x32 foot storage type facility, shell only, and they delivered it on a roll-back. (I never even knew they used motorized vehicles) We then spent a BUNCH of money on finishing the inside to accommodate a full bathroom and bedroom/living room section on one end, and my sewing area all the way to the end of the rest of it. It is beautiful on the inside of it, because we were able to use my son's best friend who is a master sheetrock finisher.

If you walk into the space now, you would never recognize it for the beauty--I have it so cram full of machines, cabinets, fabric, shelves, my long arm table and machine up and down the center of it, and a little trail for getting around to everything that goes on out there. But it works for me, and occasionally I can get a sister, or daughter, or granddaughter to help me clean it up when it gets to be overwhelming.

I have given some thought to posting a picture or two, but one, I don't know how to post one, and two, it is never presentable enough to show off. Maybe someday. I have made dozens of quilts, my son has quilted dozens of quilts, and I have given several quilting classes out there. It is my dream space, come true because of a good hearted man and good help that is hard to find in a rural country setting such as offered here in Middle Tennessee.