Old 04-19-2014, 09:12 PM
cathyvv

I have EQ7. I like it and have used it, but, no, I don't think it's easy to use. It isn't intuitive at all.

My career was spent doing analysis, requirements and development of computer systems and I was very good at my job. The systems I worked on had to be as intuitive as possible. I also wrote many user manuals, and tested the systems, so I think that I'm a pretty good judge of whether software is intuitive or not.

I have used EQ7 several times to design quilt tops. I like having blocks and fabrics available in a database to use to design the quilt top. However, if I don't use it for 3 months, I have to 'remind' myself of how the software works. I don't think I should have to. The user guide is ok, but not great, as it is not comprehensive enough and leaves many details to your imagination. When I worked, that happened fairly often when the writer of the user guide was so familiar with the product that he/she assumed the reader knew what he/she knew and didn't include it.

Having said that, I've heard others claim it is very intuitive, so what's not intuitive to me is clearly intuitive to some others.

The best thing you can do before purchasing EQ7 is ask quilting friends if they have it, what they think of it and can you try it.

Do a search on quilting software and see what you find. I found Quilt Design Wizard on JCPenney online for less than $25.

Quiltsoft designs has a software product, too. (
www.quiltsoft.com)

I haven't used either of these, but knowing that they're "out there" gives you more choice and allows you to compare features, check reviews, etc.