Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting computer software opinions wanted >

Quilting computer software opinions wanted

Quilting computer software opinions wanted

Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 AM

Default Quilting computer software opinions wanted

Ive always designed my own quilt plans on paper then did all the math. I would them take masking tape to my hardwood floors and see close to the size and size of blocks. As i learn i make my quilts more advance. But before i spend 189$ on the eq7 software i would like peoples opinions on it. Thats a lot of money and would take me over 8 months to save that. I know you can design, color and it'll give you the math break down. But is it easy to use? Do owner use it a lot? Is it worth it? Are their other software? Other software better then this?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 AM

You will get many, many opinions about this. I personally find EQ easy to learn and use, however there are people who struggle with it. My favorite way of using it is to audition my ideas to see if they look ridiculous or awesome before investing all my time and fabric.

You might check into buying it used from someone. I bought EQ7 used for my mom from someone who didn't use it as much as she thought she would. There were no problems at all transferring the ownership and activations.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:41 AM

I like it. I have EQ7 and I use it to see layout and yardages but they don't do normal piecing everything looks like a paper piece template. You stll have to know how to make the blocks tha tyou choose. it gives strange cutting instructions, I find, but it is still something I like having.
I have the apps as well for my ipad and I personally like the EQ7 better. there are more things you can do in it. its very simple to use and there are lessons online all the time on how to use the software.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 AM

I love the EQ7 software. I bought it because it offered the ability to scan fabrics in my stash and plug them into a block or quilt setting. If you are willing to spend some time with the manual to learn how the software works, I think you will be amazed at what it can do and how it can enhance your own personal quilting experience. The manual is well written and illustrated, which is why I was able to stick with it and work through it.

EQ does do the math for you, but it helps that you've done your own computations because you may not always want to cut your patches or borders the way EQ recommends. I always study the fabric yardages and cutting diagrams, sometimes following them to the letter, other times going my own way. Regardless, it's nice that the software gives you a starting point.

I recently purchased a series of books published by EQ to really dive deeply into the drawing features offered in the software: Pieced Drawing, Applique Drawing and Quilt Design. I'm enjoying my self-imposed homework so much, I've written about my progress in my blog.

Quilt software isn't for everyone, but if you are already drafting your own blocks and creating your own layouts, you may find that EQ will speed the process.

Good luck, whatever way you decide to go.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

I still start out with graph paper, but eventually move my idea to EQ7. It's much easier to manipulate the blocks in a computer program. When your done with your design, it gives you fabric requirements. I've found these to be very generous. If you can find your fabric online, you can import the picture into your design and get a general idea of your color scheme.
As far as ease of use, I was very familiar with several graphics programs, so I didn't have any problems.
There are a series of instructions (23 of them at last count) on this board in the tutorial section:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...n-t166726.html
You might want to look at them before ordering.

And finally, there are other applications, but this is the only one I'm aware of that will let you design your own blocks and drop in your fabrics. Other applications have a library of blocks that you have to choose from.

Quilt in a day has the best price on EQ7. YOU HAVE TO PUT IT INTO YOUR SHOPPING CART TO SEE THE DISCOUNTED PRICE!!!!!
http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/gift/28132
Old 04-15-2014, 10:25 AM

I bought EQ7 a year or 2 ago... for a novice to the software, or to graphics software, it isn't as intuitive as one might think. There are, however, many tutorials on using it and I would suggest you find and use some of those. There are some physical locations that will offer 'classes' as well. I would suggest if you do get it, dedicate some alone time with it to learn it!
Old 04-15-2014, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

you can also buy the EQ5 version for about $50 here http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Quilt.../dp/B001BPKI3M
i have EQ5 and have not found the need to upgrade
Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 PM

I like it but I do most of my initial design on good old fashioned graph paper. Pretty much like PaperPrincess described - I move them into EQ7 after I've settled on at least the basic format for the quilt.

I use it mostly to try out different fabric colors. And also just to play.

I don't think it's a NECESSARY tool, especially if you're comfortable with doing things "manually". But it's fun and can lead to some surprising designs when you're absent-mindedly flipping blocks around.

But also....there are some things I can't figure out how to draw in EQ7 that are easy to draw on graph paper. Might just be that I haven't figured it out yet - the software does have a learning curve.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 PM

I just this winter got a new computer - with Windows 8, soon to be Windows 8.1.

I don't think the older version of EQ I have will run on this newer platform, so expect I'll have to buy up. I do still have the EQ windows XP version on my old computer.

The point of this is to say I think the EQ product is fairly easy to learn especially with the newer versions having the video learning included in them. Just make sure what you get you can use on your computer ... or future computer.
Also, many LQS's have EQ classes available down here.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:09 PM

I too have EQ7. I'm able to do all the basic things like the layout, figuring out borders, picking blocks and colors. I've gotten to the point where I want to do more custom stuff and I just can't figure it out. For example, we're doing PP feathered stars in my quilt club. Some of the ladies were able to get the designs into EQ7. I even asked one of them if she would give me private lessons. She suggested I go through all the tutorials (before I pay her...I haven't actually done any of the tutorials so far). And she kept saying you can do more in "Layer 3" which I never use. She also said getting those PP stars into the program was somewhat challenging.

There is an EQ club at the LQS and I went a couple times. The instructor went through the lessons so fast I couldn't keep up. People were at different levels of comprehension.

But...the best thing about EQ7 in my opinion is auditioning colors. Before EQ7 I would actually cut out pieces; no it doesn't work; cut more pieces; still doesn't work; etc. At least with the software it's easy to see how different things look before actually wasting your fabric. And it's a lot of fun to play with and create virtual quilts.