Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting computer software opinions wanted >

Quilting computer software opinions wanted

Quilting computer software opinions wanted

Old 04-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You will get many, many opinions about this. I personally find EQ easy to learn and use, however there are people who struggle with it. My favorite way of using it is to audition my ideas to see if they look ridiculous or awesome before investing all my time and fabric.

You might check into buying it used from someone. I bought EQ7 used for my mom from someone who didn't use it as much as she thought she would. There were no problems at all transferring the ownership and activations.
This is SO true. You may not need the newest and the latest version. There are many of us still running EQ5. You may want to wait for a sale. I know around the Thanksgiving holiday that JAF had it on sale half off and I have read posts on this site that EB has it on sale-have to put it into the cart to see the price. I have own a version of EQ every since 1995 and once you have drawn your block, it becomes so simple to print rotary instructions or paper piecing instructions.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 PM

My hubby originally bought me EQ as a gift, I think version 5, and he has upgraded it every time they bring out the latest version. It is not all that difficult to learn the basics, but I find I do not use it as much as I thought I might. I have not designed very many quilts from start to finish in EQ7, but it is great for playing with different layouts of blocks, or different fabric arrangements. It has the ability to scan actual fabrics to go into the fabric libraries, but I have yet to use that feature.

It is fun, and it can be helpful, but I could also get by without it. Designing might take a little longer, but the end result is not going to be any better, imho, for having software. And like Sewnoma said, there are some designs that I simply have not figured out how to draw in EQ7. My avatar quilt is one of them. Several people have asked for the pattern and I am willing to share. I can draw it on graph paper without a problem, but tried to do it in EQ7 and got so frustrated I quit trying. I can't draw it as a block, and I can't draw it as a strip quilt. Maybe someday I'll figure it out!
Old 04-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I have both EQ7 and Quilt Pro. A ***lot*** depends on how fast you can learn one of these programs. I was a computer systems designer and programmer in a past life, and EQ7 is a program that is definitely NOT intuitive or easy for me to learn. It is very frustrating to spend that much money on software and find it difficult to master. Before saving up for 8 months to purchase EQ7, make sure you are willing to spend the hours that will probably be necessary to become proficient in the program.

I got Quilt Pro when they were having some kind of sale on it -- half price for the download version, which made it $50. This software can't do quite everything that EQ7 can do, but in my opinion it is much easier to learn.

Whichever software you decide on, watch for sales; there is no necessity to pay full price for either program. Also, be sure to do a "search" here on the quilting board for old threads about EQ7. I am not the only one who has found it to have a steep learning curve.

Also, a lot depends on how much you like to design your own quilts. I have so many great patterns on hand that I would like to make, I often don't feel the need to design my own.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scraplady View Post
there are some designs that I simply have not figured out how to draw in EQ7. My avatar quilt is one of them. Several people have asked for the pattern and I am willing to share. I can draw it on graph paper without a problem, but tried to do it in EQ7 and got so frustrated I quit trying. I can't draw it as a block, and I can't draw it as a strip quilt. Maybe someday I'll figure it out!
I bet if you looked at what this blogger did, you might be able to find a way!

http://www.onpointquilter.com/1/post...c-quilt-7.html
Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 PM

I have EQ 6 and am vowed this year to start using it more and learn to actually get comfortable with it. I am not sure that I need to upgrade to EQ7 until I come across something I want to do that I can't do with EQ 6.

But for me, it is a lot, LOT easier than using a piece of paper and a colored pencils.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:50 AM

I bought EQ5 for $30 and it works on my windows 7 computer. I figured if i use it a lot then it would justify spending more for the latest version. So far i am not ready for the upgrade because i don't use it as often as i thought i would. Not yet anyway. I am still new and find myself using more of the common free patterns until i get better.

If you have an older computer and want newer software, you can look into running the software in compatibility mode. Once upon a time i was a tech geek but i haven't kept up in a few years. You can run older programs on newer operating systems by changing settings for every time you run specific programs.

I have a very simple printing program that i bought many years ago for a windows 95 computer and i run it on a computer with windows 7. Sometimes i don't want a million bells and whistles interfering with a super fast simple task.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
you can also buy the EQ5 version for about $50 here http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Quilt.../dp/B001BPKI3M
i have EQ5 and have not found the need to upgrade
I've had many versions of EQ, and the newer they are, the easier they are to use. If you are going to buy it, go with the newest. A couple of perks of buying the latest version are; Excellent customer service, and when a new version comes out, you can buy a up grade for a reduced price. The support alone is worth it. If you buy a used version from someone, you cannot s the registration over to your name.
With the current version, there is even photo editing in it.
Can you tell I really like EQ 7?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I was a computer systems designer and programmer in a past life, and EQ7 is a program that is definitely NOT intuitive or easy for me to learn. It is very frustrating to spend that much money on software and find it difficult to master.
This is really interesting because I find EQ7 to be completely un-intuitive too, and I am a programmer as well. I think people who use software & computers LESS might have an easier time learning EQ7, because they do things differently in EQ7 than is standard. As a programmer I just expect certain standard things to work a certain way in EQ7, but it's unique software. If I had no built-in expectations of how things "should" work, it might have been easier for me to learn.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 AM

Bought the Design Wizard years ago. It is cheap and fun to play with. Only around $29. Great for playing with color and design. You can only use the designs in the software so cannot make up designs of your own.
EQ is to expensive and there are so many free patterns out there to do that it is a waste of money.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM

Another question i have thought of with the EQ7. Does this work with pictures? I see there are a few just picture programs out there. I just don't want to waste money on a picture program if this also does it.