Thread: Tuplips
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 03:42 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have heard they will not bloom if you plant them. They are not real hardy in this area.
You plant tulips, daffodils, crocus, hyacinths, in the fall - tulips 7" deep and work your way up to the crocuses which are about 2-3" deep. Then they come up the following spring (Mine are coming up now). When they are through blooming, you let the leaves dry off (You can braid the daffodil leaves (less messy) and when they are dry, you cut the leaves off. In the meantime, you plant your annuals in that area so when the bulbs leaves are done you will have a beautiful annual garden. You don't dig up your bulbs, they stay there forever unless some squirrels or some other critter decides to dig them up. With the price of bulbs, I would just as soon plant them deep in the ground rather than have them 4" or so deep in a pot and then they really aren't any good anymore because they have spent all of their energy in a small pot. I have worked at garden centers, and flower shops, and I know from whence I speak. I love the spring bulbs and I enjoy the blooms of the tulips, daffodils, crocuses and hyacinths. One more thing, if you get them potted in a pot, let them die back and dry and then come Fall plant them deep. They have to have a chance to rest. Don't water them after they have bloomed. Happy Spring! Edie