Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tuplips

Tuplips

Someone one gave me some tuplips but I didn't get them planted yet because of it raining all week and being sick. Forgot to water them one day and being on a table near not so lighting. They have turned yellow and are not in pretty bloom. The blooms have died like. If I plant them will they still grow next year.The leaves are yellow a little dry but stems still look a little green. Don't know how to post a picture.

Plant them . Dont over water. They are pretty hardy.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Power Poster
    I just planted my tulip and daffodil potted bulbs this week. They were looking pretty sick but the bulbs should come next year. I did water mine but after a couple of weeks in the house they were looking bad.

I have heard they will not bloom if you plant them. They are not real hardy in this area.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Mine have come back, year after year.
    My Mom got some sent to her last year in the hospital and when they were finished blooming she gave them to me to plant. They look very pretty near my walk.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    If you do plant them outside, make sure you don't use any Preen or other weed suppressor. They will not grow if you do.

Thank you everyone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I have heard they will not bloom if you plant them. They are not real hardy in this area.
    You plant tulips, daffodils, crocus, hyacinths, in the fall - tulips 7" deep and work your way up to the crocuses which are about 2-3" deep. Then they come up the following spring (Mine are coming up now). When they are through blooming, you let the leaves dry off (You can braid the daffodil leaves (less messy) and when they are dry, you cut the leaves off. In the meantime, you plant your annuals in that area so when the bulbs leaves are done you will have a beautiful annual garden. You don't dig up your bulbs, they stay there forever unless some squirrels or some other critter decides to dig them up. With the price of bulbs, I would just as soon plant them deep in the ground rather than have them 4" or so deep in a pot and then they really aren't any good anymore because they have spent all of their energy in a small pot. I have worked at garden centers, and flower shops, and I know from whence I speak. I love the spring bulbs and I enjoy the blooms of the tulips, daffodils, crocuses and hyacinths. One more thing, if you get them potted in a pot, let them die back and dry and then come Fall plant them deep. They have to have a chance to rest. Don't water them after they have bloomed. Happy Spring! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterj View Post
    Someone one gave me some tuplips but I didn't get them planted yet because of it raining all week and being sick. Forgot to water them one day and being on a table near not so lighting. They have turned yellow and are not in pretty bloom. The blooms have died like. If I plant them will they still grow next year.The leaves are yellow a little dry but stems still look a little green. Don't know how to post a picture.
    Just let them dry. Don't water them. Plant them in the ground next Fall. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

They will be fine. Check the planting depth for the size of the bulbs you have and remember that tulips are deer candy!

Tulips are beloved by chipmunks as well. We planted 12 dozen one year and the first year were lovely. Next year? Zip, Nada! Those pesky chipmunks ate them every one.

Blog Entries
    Tulips do best with a hard freeze over the winter; they don't keep coming back otherwise. Illinois should be a good place to grow them!

They should bloom next year. Unless you have moles they ate all my tulip bulbs!
    may you be in heaven before the devil knows your dead!
    Liz

My husband gave me a pot of tulips and when the first two died, he planted - the whole pot. The others kept blooming until they died, so I'm anxious to see if they sprout and bloom next year.
    Dodee

Blog Entries
    What are tuplips?
    Aussie Carol